• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's track bar hits oil pan!!!

1996cc said:
Maybe those that aren't hitting don't get wheeled off the curbs. Or maybe they are bump stopped into oblivion. Obviously there are many here that do hit, just read the replys.

why is that? mine doesnt hit, and it is not "wheeled off the curb" as you put it.

just because several peoples hits, doesnt mean every ones does

1996cc said:
Maybe those that aren't hitting don't get wheeled off the curbs. Or maybe they are bump stopped into oblivion. Obviously there are many here that do hit, just read the replys.

After reading the replies...

(1) person reports having your same issue but fixed it by getting the proper mount
(1) person reports having your issue after their bar was already bent

Huh?

Yeah, I obviously don't wheel mine. Let's just say there's a reason I have a shelf full of broken D30 shafts and blown up 297X u-joints, and a few more reasons why I have a kingpin D60 now. And up until I swapped the 60 in I ran the Rusty's HD bar for 45,000 miles, as a dual-purpose trail rig and DD. Including many trips driving 150+ miles home with broken shafts, shocks, steering, etc.

Furthermore, bumpstopping on the front axle happened only when the 33's hit the spot where the airbox/battery is. I never extended the front bumpstops.

If you look, the bolt for the trackbar is below the oil pan by a good amount. Meaning the bar has to go past horizontal and start pointing up before it thinks about hitting, and you'll need a good 6-7" of pure vertical wheel travel on the passenger side before it gets close. You sure yours isn't bent?

edit: A few pics from when I had the Rusty's one installed.

How the hell do you get this to hit the oil pan?
bar1.jpg

level2.jpg

Sounds like someone is running some mis-matched equipment...

Last edited:
I've had mine since Nov. 03. No problems with it. I may not be as hardcore as some but I don't think I'm easy on my junk either. JIM.

if he has the drop bracket its impossible, theres no way that i could tell.

any by the way guy, you DO know that most guys on here bumpstop there rigs (or chop them to hell) its a way of limiting up travel, and its smart if you dont want to rip your tires to shred and crack or bend your fenders. do you think bumpstopping is not REAL OFFROADING because you cant stuff your tires all the way up to the engine compartment?

get some flex shots with the bar hitting the oil pan, i actually want to see it ( not being sarcastic, i actually want to see where and how its hitting it)

and to me that looks like 6-7" for the center of the rod to hit the oil pan, so that would mean like what, 13-14" of upward wheel travel for the bar to get that high?

I bought a Rough Country track bar brand new,and after out at the Cliff`s one time,it bent and came reallly close to hitting the oil pan.My buddy has a Rusty`s one,his is a lonnnnng way from the pan.

Either you put it in upside down,or that thing is BENT.

Either you put it in upside down,or that thing is BENT.[/quote]

i really think his must be bent, i just can't see how it hit the pan otherwise. i'm not at all easy on mine, but the bar itself has held up well, i just keep killing the "hd" threaded bushing end. on a side note, my second replacement end would not thread in more than one turn or so before binding. i had to tap the threads twice to make it work. what a headache....

Okay guys I got some pics. I don't want this thread to go downhill and I'm not trying to diss on anyone. There were some other comments about bars hitting the pan, so I was just trying to point out that I'm not alone with the problem. Also note that I DO NOT have the Rusty HD mount, which does drop the tracbar lower and further away from the pan. I should have taken a pic with the tape measure in place, but the pan is only 3" above the top of the trac bar. This is with my front end lifted nearly 7" (RE ZJ 4.5" coils gave me 6 3/4" over where it was stock).

Here is an overall:
DSC03600.jpg

Here is the dent, just to the right of the center of the pic. It's a little tough to make out:

DSC03601.jpg

Here is a fuzzy pic of the rod end. It is SLIGHTLY bent, but not much and if anything helps the bar clear better.

DSC03606.jpg

Last edited:
i have all the rustys parts and b4 i got the hd mount i broke two tie rod ends! i had to pay for to new ones!!!! and 29.99 shiping(that sucked) so i called rustys and asked why this is going on they told me that the front axle is of center and it needs a Front End Alignment i got the hd frame mount and got it aligned and have had no more brakes yet?

If it was mandrel bent it wouldn't kink like that. Unless the die didn't match the tubing. That does however look like somebody tried to rebend it.

And yes I can blame Rusty's for a bad design, just because I bought it used doesn't mean it was designed correctly in the first place. BTW, it was used, but just installed and removed, the guy never even drove the rig. He tried to use in on an Explorer with a SAS swap, but it didn't work.

Possibly to try and clear something like maybe some IFS brackets? Sure looks to me like somebody used a pipe bender to rebend it and kinked it.

Dingo

GUYS, GET OVER the fact that I bought it used. The PO did not bend it. You are too quick to blame that. He bought it, tried to mock it up, didn't work, set it aside, sold it to me. If I would have never said "used", what would your reason be then???

Let's see some pics of your "unbent" ones to compare the angles and bends!!!

Back