• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's, RockKrawler or RE?

I wouldn't run RK anything. Their generation 2 stuff is still crap. If your Jeep is not a DD then maybe.

If you want LA go with Clayton and add RE stuff or get the 6" LA Full Traction kit (which there is a good write up on it in the newest JP)

ZachMan said:
I wouldn't run RK anything. Their generation 2 stuff is still crap. If your Jeep is not a DD then maybe.

If you want LA go with Clayton and add RE stuff or get the 6" LA Full Traction kit (which there is a good write up on it in the newest JP)

i second that

What is crap about the second gen? Be specific. You weld on brackets and run solid alloy arms with heims on both ends (I'm admittedly a skeptic of the solid arm approach - I'd rather have a tube bend than an arm snap even if the tube would bend long before the arm would snap). The small size of the heims improves frame end clearance, and changing out a damaged joint is a ten minute exercise, even on the trail. Try that with a rubber bushing.

I can understand not wanting heim-based links all over your suspension for a daily driver with moderate lift and moderate trails, but by the time you have enough lift to really need to get away from the stock short arms your Jeep is so biased towards offroad use that the rigidity of a heim based setup is worth it.

I wouldn't design it the way RK did, but that's because I wouldn't be designing it to run on a stock Dana 30. These kits are all major compromises, every last one of them from RE to Full Traction, because they are all adapted to the stock front axle. You have to get away from stock designs in order to build the best system from scratch. As has been debated ad nauseum, once you raise the axle LCA brackets up to flush with the axle you can shorten the arm and run a mid-arm more in the 22-24" range, improving clearance all the way around, and utilizing a 3-link design with a raised and braced single upper arm mount.

I personally wouldn't run a 3-link on a D30. I'm not convinced the 30 housing can handle it over time without a good deal of reinforcement, but I tend to be risk adverse when it comes to suspension components potentially failing. YMMV.

Nay

I have 4.5" of EMU and BB and love it. Actually its more like 4.75 and could easily be over 5" with a 1" block in back and a factory isolator up front ( don't currently have one).

ride great ... needs drop brackets or long arms and it would be perfect.

still debating that.

RE DB and braces and JKS arms or claytons LA...

Nay said:
What is crap about the second gen? Be specific. You weld on brackets and run solid alloy arms with heims on both ends (I'm admittedly a skeptic of the solid arm approach - I'd rather have a tube bend than an arm snap even if the tube would bend long before the arm would snap). The small size of the heims improves frame end clearance, and changing out a damaged joint is a ten minute exercise, even on the trail. Try that with a rubber bushing.

I can understand not wanting heim-based links all over your suspension for a daily driver with moderate lift and moderate trails, but by the time you have enough lift to really need to get away from the stock short arms your Jeep is so biased towards offroad use that the rigidity of a heim based setup is worth it.

I wouldn't design it the way RK did, but that's because I wouldn't be designing it to run on a stock Dana 30. These kits are all major compromises, every last one of them from RE to Full Traction, because they are all adapted to the stock front axle. You have to get away from stock designs in order to build the best system from scratch. As has been debated ad nauseum, once you raise the axle LCA brackets up to flush with the axle you can shorten the arm and run a mid-arm more in the 22-24" range, improving clearance all the way around, and utilizing a 3-link design with a raised and braced single upper arm mount.

I personally wouldn't run a 3-link on a D30. I'm not convinced the 30 housing can handle it over time without a good deal of reinforcement, but I tend to be risk adverse when it comes to suspension components potentially failing. YMMV.

Nay

I read the HUGE post on POR and thought maybe the new stuff is good. Well there have been a few post on JU and Pirate about breakage from the new stuff. Mainly people who broke the old stuff and got the 2nd gen. stuff and it broke too. Yes, I also do not like their design and alot of their welds suck.

I can't remember specifics, why should I when I have RE and don't have to worry. :cheers:

ZachMan said:
I read the HUGE post on POR and thought maybe the new stuff is good. Well there have been a few post on JU and Pirate about breakage from the new stuff. Mainly people who broke the old stuff and got the 2nd gen. stuff and it broke too. Yes, I also do not like their design and alot of their welds suck.

I can't remember specifics, why should I when I have RE and don't have to worry. :cheers:

Be careful posting opinions about stuff you don't have personal experience with. Since you're running RE, stick with commenting on that. I too have read all the posts, but am not convinced that a certain company's stuff sucks until I personally destroy it.

Capt. Nemo said:
Be careful posting opinions about stuff you don't have personal experience with. Since you're running RE, stick with commenting on that. I too have read all the posts, but am not convinced that a certain company's stuff sucks until I personally destroy it.

Thats one of the smartest things I have heard in a while. Don't complain about stuff unless you have ACTUALLY used it. If you have then the input is desired. I'm tried of hearing "my freind's brother's uncle's cousin said this and that about this and that product".

dang, i think its alright to hear everyone's opinions. even if its from their friend's cousin. if anything, it just makes us aware of possible flaws in the kits. its just advice, you don;t have to take it, right? but i can see what ur saying. i went through this when people told me that XJ's suck and aren't reliable. they were all people who never even owned any kind of jeep!

brandon

I just finished piecing together an 8" lift. If there is any advise I have for you is piece it together with used parts. Keep an eye out on the boards and you will spend AT MOST half of what you would normally spend!

Thank you all for the additional info. I have also been a little sketchy on a 3-link in the front, but since others feel the same, my gut was probably right. Maybe, pretty soon, I too will have enough experience from various suspension companies to fill the minds of newbies with my advice.

I've always used rusty's stuff and have never had a problem. The only thing I've every gotten from RK is there 6" coils which seemed fine, although I have HEARD terrible things about their longarm kit. The main reason people don't like rusty is b/c he used to have crap springs, he has since fixed the problem. You may want to consider a mid-arm type setup instead of longarms, I think their main reason under many people's rigs is the 'cool' factor.

Last edited:
CJS said:
I've always used rusty's stuff and have never had a problem. The only thing I've every gotten from RK is there 6" coils which seemed fine, although I have HEARD terrible things about their longarm kit. The main reason people don't like rusty is b/c he used to have crap springs, he has since fixed the problem. You may want to consider a mid-arm type setup instead of longarms, I think their main reason under many people's rigs is the 'cool' factor.

What the heck are mid-arm's?
Also if i was to get RE drop brackets for the control arms would that just inprove my ride or would the suspension work better also?:us:

fdsa487 said:
Also if i was to get RE drop brackets for the control arms would that just inprove my ride or would the suspension work better also?:us:

According to the reviews from those that have them...Both.

not sure but I think this has been covered atleast 20 times in the last couple of months. SEARCh.

Back