• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's lift, any good?

madco-xj

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone has any practical input on the Rusty's 3" lift, quality, durability, etc. I would appreciate the advice. Price seems too good to be true!

I have had my 3 inch kit from rusty's for 60,000 miles and I really love it. I am very pleased with the company. I would recommend them.

Remember if you take internet advice 9/10 people will never have even tried the lift, they will just have heard others complain about stuff. In other words 1 person saying something bad can lead hundreds to think its a bad product... just my 2 cents

That's why I am asking here. I am looking for people with experience with the lift. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a lift in the 3" class (doing an expedition build) and want one that is capable but a good daily driver as well.

I am not a picky man in the least and I don't have experience with other rides. My jeep rides like a tank, but that is to be expected. I use it as a DD (driving once a month on a 600 mile round trip plus going to work every day). I can say that I am happy with it and their product has lasted quite a long time without sagging, too much, it did settle down because the shocks were bad after 60,80k miles those shocks were shot. I just replaced my shocks and it lifted it back up another inch.

I have heard that the coils have a good spring rate. Other than that mostly negative things about rustys.

I had some used rustys lowers on my rig for a while when I got it, and coils. I gave them away for free when I upgraded to TNT long arms. I would say go with Rustys if its free or almost free. dont pay full price for it. I ran it for years, was so much happier when I ended up going with TNT long arms and some used RE 5.5" coils.
I still run my rustys rear leaves, but with 4 stock XJ leaves added to help with all the weight in the rear. and the fact the leaves are around 9 years old this point and have been wheeled hard. they were on the rig when I got it though. But I didnt pay for it. I would happily run a free 3" lift of Rustys as long as it was free.

ive sold lots of rustys steering and long arms, and short arms off numerous rigs over the years. The NON-cross over steering seems to be crappy, the trackbars seem like terribly unsafe cheap junk and dangerous, the 2 Ive seen in person on a rig I drove for a short time before parting. The HD cross steering Ive seen was decently beefy and I would run it if It was under 200$ shipped.

I go ruffstuff for steering , link parts, rrod ends, etc etc these days.

there is a reason rustys parts sell for next to nothing or go free used when when other brands like say rubicon express and TNT and other decent brand still hold a decent value used. most long arm kits sell fast for close to full price. The 2 rustys long arms sets ive sold used went for like 300-350$.

if youre spending money on new parts, do more research, and you will probably end up going another route.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with them, but I had been planning on getting Rusty's 3" coils until I was ready to order them and saw what they wanted for shipping. I think their parts are generally lower priced than average b/c they make up for it and then some with inflated shipping rates. I did some more searching and found that Serious Offroad sells Rubicon Express 3.5" for significantly less money. Although FYI, those springs actually provide about 4-4.25" lift and you may open up a new can of worms with the additional lift height.

Also, for the guy who said his XJ rides like a tank, it shouldn't... Rustys 3" springs are the same rate as stock I believe... if it rides like a tank the shocks are either way too stiff or something else is up. My RE coils are a stiffer rate than stock and my XJ rides pretty nicely (I'm using JK shocks currently).

Honestly, if you want lower shipping, call them. IF you search for this you will finds lots of threads. They are a vendor, offer a discount,. But the website overcalulates shipping. ISo if you want the correct shipped price. Call them.
I believe that the RE 4.5 springs from serious are only like 90$-ish shipped.. Cheaper than the 3.5s.

Also, for the guy who said his XJ rides like a tank, it shouldn't... Rustys 3" springs are the same rate as stock I believe... if it rides like a tank the shocks are either way too stiff or something else is up. My RE coils are a stiffer rate than stock and my XJ rides pretty nicely (I'm using JK shocks currently).

I'm selling a 2001 XJ that is stock except 31's and the rusty's AAL, coil and shocks kit. It does ride "firm" it would be better with better shocks, and some armor to weigh it down. It is IMHO about the cheapest route to get some lift tho.

It is deffinataly not as posh of a ride as my DD with the Nth*/OME W/JKU Rubicon shocks combo.

Just my .02

I had a Rusty's 3" lift for years until I upgraded to their 4.5" lift. My only advice is to get the rear spring pack instead of the add-a-leaf kit. I've had a very good experience with their products.

I wouldn't buy Rutys anything, their shipping was outragous, the powdercoat comes off in sheets within a few months ect. For the money your going to spend you can get better products..

i had the 6.5 inch lift and ran the piss out of it for years finally the leaves and track bar gave up the ghost. it was on my jeep when I bought it. it worked is it the best no its not but it does work

Hello there, I have a Rusty's 4.5" LA kit in my Xj, and works well, the only issue that i had, was that the ball joints that the kit came with didint satisfy me, so I order a set from Currie, problem solved, yes the paint comes off when rocks hit the arms.

I can recommend Rusty's it is a good suspension vendor, call them if you want a good shipping price.

In 2001 I installed a Rusty's 3" lift (full leafs/coils) and was very happy with it. Over the years, adding the ARB winch bumper and Mile Marker hydraulic winch to the front and JCR Offroad rear bumper with tire carrier, gas tank and transfer case skids along with all the usual stuff I haul for camping, the rear leafs finally went flat. I recently installed Old Man Emu 3-1/2" HD rear leafs with their Nitro shocks and am totally surprised at the ride difference. I was expecting a bit of a harsh ride but find it rides smoother and seems to handle everything better. Granted, the Rusty's parts are 12 years old and 230,000 miles so I guess anything new would be an improvement. I plan to order the OME 3" HD springs, shocks and steering stabilizer when funds permit. You may want to check it out at 4wheelonline.com as shipping is free!

With that said, Rusty's worked fine for years for me, but it'll all depend on the way you wheel and what you can afford.

Let us know what you end up with!

Last edited:
Their product is ok. I have a 6.5' lift, springs are good but I have had nothing but problems with the Jonny Joints ''not their product''. They have done nothing to help me with that so I have to say their customer service sucks.Also I ordered their skid plate that was 3'' to short to fit, only touched the cross member by a 1/2'' and they again did nothing to fix that problem, I was told the owner will call me back in 10 minutes, still waiting. That was a year ago. Again customer service not so hot..

I have (had) the Rusty's Offroad 4.5" short arm kit for about 6 years and have wheeled with it very lightly. The springs felt unstable and very bouncy on the road. I noticed a huge difference in ride control and comfort when I upgraded to IROs 8" coils believe it or not. The trackbar that came with the kit was dangerous and I feel like it could have easily killed me if it broke on the freeway, but luckily I am glad that it (the TRE) broke when I was just pulling out of my driveway a few years ago. This has been also replaced with IROs double shear HD trackbar and mount. I wouldn't run any other trackbar on the market at this point. My rear leaves squeak and grind like heck when articulating (embarassing) and the plastic shims in between the leaves have managed to break and fall out. The bushings for both the leaves and the LCAs that came with the kit deteriorated to nothing in a matter of only a couple years. I replaced all with polyurethane a year ago and have noticed a huge difference in handling and control. Other than that my 4.5" Rustys, 8" IRO, and Rough Country LCA Drop Bracket, IronMan Fab UCA hybrid lift has been great and has awesome control on the road! Honestly I would strongly recommend an Iron Rock Offroad kit utilizing four control arms (I have no experience with their three arm kits and I am still undecided). Their quality and parts are remarkable and their shipping and customer service seems remarkable.

Back