• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running 35s with 355s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that it was the best on the trail and I like everyone else is just sharing my experience all I wanted to hear is why it doesnt work instead of just it wont. If I had the money and when I have the money I am defentily going to regear. Personally I have not experienced any transmission windup or anything like that and I do wheel hard-core trails around me. In two wheel drive or in high 4 I cant really wheel through rocks but who doesn any way as long as it is in low four it is just as slow as I need it to be. As for the manuals I dont see how they could wheel with this combo because it would be to jumpy. I have never been out wheeled by another cherokee. who had lower gears than me. And anyone who comes to arizona I will gladly go anywhere here that you can go with just as much ease.

azxjman said:
I run 35s with 3.55s and yeah it does suck on the highway. And I get worse gas mileage than anyone I know. But it does just as good as anyone with lower gears does on the trail. So for everone who says it will be crappy on the trail I say BLAH BLAH BLAH!! Dont talk about what you havent seen. Also it is an auto and I have a gigantic tranny cooler.

I've seen it. I've been there! IT IS NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS LOW GEARS. PERIOD!

I've been wheeling long enough to have been there prior to low gears and it sucked.

We wouldn't have the trails we have today if it wasn't for lower gears.

mark

azxjman said:
.... I will gladly go anywhere here that you can go with just as much ease.

Ignorance is bliss!

Have you noticed everyone on this thread disagrees with you? The problem is, the people with even less experience than you might take your :bs: as fact. Where's the SPOBI police when ya need 'em?

Last edited:
Simply unreal.

There is no way in hell, no way at all, that your rig on 35s with 3.55s will go ANYWHERE that ANYONE ELSE in a XJ can go. You simply do not know what you are talking about.
Much like XJGUY, you can sit there and pretend you don't hear the voice of reason, but that does not make you right. With a few exceptions, you will never hear comments like that from the guys on this board who know their chit. Even the guys with tube-Js know that there is something out there that might work better. Your steadfast denial of the facts, not to mention the laws of physics, will have you 'stuck on stupid' for a long time, or at least until you get past your teen years.
Good luck.

dose any one with 31" and stock gears notice any diferance? my toy needs gears it will go 70+ on the freeway but dont ask it to clime any big hills:D .

Re: Simply unreal.

bgcntry72 said:
There is no way in hell, no way at all, that your rig on 35s with 3.55s will go ANYWHERE that ANYONE ELSE in a XJ can go. You simply do not know what you are talking about.
Much like XJGUY, you can sit there and pretend you don't hear the voice of reason, but that does not make you right. With a few exceptions, you will never hear comments like that from the guys on this board who know their chit. Even the guys with tube-Js know that there is something out there that might work better. Your steadfast denial of the facts, not to mention the laws of physics, will have you 'stuck on stupid' for a long time, or at least until you get past your teen years.
Good luck.

Say what you want to say, but exclude me from your "voice of reason".

XJguy

LOL, here's what someone had to say in another thread...
jallen said:
i'm currently running stock 3.55 gearing with an auto tranny to 31's and am sick of having no low end. on the highway the tranny downshifts any time that there's even the slightest rise in the road and to keep up with traffic off of a red light i have to be super aggressive on the skinny pedal.

Once you regear you'll ask yourself "How did I put up with those crappy gears for so long?"

Jes

gears

>> Once you regear you'll ask yourself "How did I put up with
>> those crappy gears for so long?"

Exactly! You see postings all the time from people who say, "I didn't change the gears when I went to bigger tires and the Jeep seems to run okay." These are people who basically don't know what they're missing. They're happy with what they've got. Fine. They would be happier if they re-geared, though.

Why would I say that? Because I have never--and I mean NEVER--seen a posting from someone who says, "I drove around with stock gears and big tires for a year and now that I finally spent the money to re-gear I'm not sure why I bothered. It ran just fine before and it's not really any better now."

No, what you see are postings like, "MAN! I can't believe it! It is so much better since I re-geared! Why, oh why didn't I do this sooner!"

You do the math.

Well here's my 2 cents....

4cy with 4:10 running 34x10.50 SS

I can't believe the differnce when I went to the 4:88

I notice more pedel when on the highway and the best of all was the creeping on the trail....I have a 4sp so it really made a difference...

XJZ and bgcntry72

Hey, how about you guys keep the insults and negativity out of this.......it is not appreciated. I don't like it and I'm not the one who it's directed at.

bgcntry, you should be spanked for bringing XJguy into this......grow up and realize that this club forum is for adults.

We may not agree with what azxjman is saying, but he doesn't deserve to called out on it. He's talking about his experience, and we can talk about our experiences and opinions, but no one needs to get durogatory about it. bgcntry, what size tires do you run, and what kind of trails do you do? :rolleyes:

My .02

Okay,not wanting to get into a battle of words here, But. I have a stock 4.0 auto with 3.55's and 31's. And I NEED new gears. 4.10 minimum, 4.56 would be better. If I'm going down the hiway any hill acts like it's a mountain. Trailwise I have to push the hell out of it just to do what the others can. It will do it, but what am I doing to my tranny and everything else? I hope not to find out. New gears are just around the corner. Gas mileage? is more like gallons per mile than miles per gallon.

So what have I said here? You can do it. But if I'm at 31's and wishing for taller gears. can't imagine what 35's would be like.

There you go. My .02

Re: My .02

JEONLYEP said:
Okay,not wanting to get into a battle of words here, But. I have a stock 4.0 auto with 3.55's and 31's. And I NEED new gears. 4.10 minimum, 4.56 would be better. If I'm going down the hiway any hill acts like it's a mountain. Trailwise I have to push the hell out of it just to do what the others can. It will do it, but what am I doing to my tranny and everything else? I hope not to find out. New gears are just around the corner. Gas mileage? is more like gallons per mile than miles per gallon.

So what have I said here? You can do it. But if I'm at 31's and wishing for taller gears. can't imagine what 35's would be like.

There you go. My .02

When I read this, I just figure your motor is the problem more than the gears. If you get poor mileage and running 3.55's with only 31's you should look into getting your motor and exhaust looked at. I have 31's and 3.07's, w/ 5sp and get close between 17 and 21 mpg. I have no problem with low end torque. I confess I have an HO and Borla exhaust, but even without the exhaust it ran great. I would prefer to have more gear, but with my little 31's I figured it was not the time. I will have 33's on soon and will be going to 4.10's.

My Jeep is a '96 with 130K miles on it.

Curt

Re: XJZ and bgcntry72

Goatman said:
Hey, how about you guys keep the insults and negativity out of this.......it is not appreciated. I don't like it and I'm not the one who it's directed at.

And I thought I was playing nice. :angel: MOST of what I say should be taken facetiously, most of the time.

Last edited:
I run 31s, boss.

And stock gears, for now.
As for trails, I do as much as my rig can handle, and I love it.
I enjoy remarks based on my tire size.
I would think that you, of all people, would know how downright senseless that sounds.
To each his own.
Down with the elitist and closed minded Jeeper. Its my Jeep, I do with it as I please. Stop the hatred.

Last edited:
Goatman playing the tiresize card.....lowdown i tell you :tears:

as to the original topic....i'm running 31's and have 4.10's...and wish i would have gone with 4.56's....and it's my daily driver. 35's and 3'.55's and one would be sucking wind...not to mention trashing the inerds of their junk. i would advise against that combo if at all possible

Re: I run 31s, boss.

bgcntry72 said:
And stock gears, for now.
As for trails, I do as much as my rig can handle, and I love it.
I enjoy remarks based on my tire size.
I would think that you, of all people, would know how downright senseless that sounds.
To each his own.

The first one was better.

hinkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back