• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

runing without carpet

A tip for you guys with hot floors over the cat. Get a small air bake cookie sheet and mount it above the cat. It is a dual layer aluminum with an air space and will do a great job of cutting the heat and will hold up to the crap under the vehicle.

the floor is hotter. also if you have rust holes, those have to be fixed. also its loud as hell.
good luck
;)
if u do anything, make sure to prepare the surface well.

old_man said:
A tip for you guys with hot floors over the cat. Get a small air bake cookie sheet and mount it above the cat. It is a dual layer aluminum with an air space and will do a great job of cutting the heat and will hold up to the crap under the vehicle.
I think I'll give that a try before the summer heat sets in, I think I'll also put one over the flowmaster which is under the passengers rear floor, it seems alot hotter than over the cat.

I don't mind to noise part, it's kinda like having a large stethoscope, I can hear what's about to fall off my Jeep before it actually does.

Don't, under any circumstances, remove your carpet.
The lack of sound deadening material promotes death wobble.
If your bushings are worn, don't even think about it.

Okie Terry said:
Don't, under any circumstances, remove your carpet.
The lack of sound deadening material promotes death wobble.
If your bushings are worn, don't even think about it.

right...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

okie, i cant imagine how bad ur DW would be if u took out your carpet and had your doors and hatch off. i thought i heard the carpet plays a major role in the stiffening of the unibody?

kolby

lankchevy said:
okie, i cant imagine how bad ur DW would be if u took out your carpet and had your doors and hatch off. i thought i heard the carpet plays a major role in the stiffening of the unibody?

kolby
I don't even drive it to the gas station.
That thing is a death trap at any speed over 15mph.

lankchevy said:
i thought i heard the carpet plays a major role in the stiffening of the unibody?

Actually, it's the floormats that give the majority of the rigidity to the unibody. You *can* remove them and still drive the XJ relatively safely, but if both the floormats and carpet are out, you're screwed.

BTW, don't think of running the floormats without the carpeting in place. You will kill all suspension bushings in no short order.

The Herculiner is sweet i put up with the heat and noise. Quit crying about the heat and the noise its a Jeep. Just think how loud the CJs and such are without carpet. We are Jeepers by definition, tough, rugged guys, sooo that means we don't gripe about noise and heat. Maybe a bicycle wont be as hot. Or maybe a Honda civic. Line it and love it Guys!

Joe!

casm said:
Actually, it's the floormats that give the majority of the rigidity to the unibody. You *can* remove them and still drive the XJ relatively safely, but if both the floormats and carpet are out, you're screwed.

BTW, don't think of running the floormats without the carpeting in place. You will kill all suspension bushings in no short order.

Finally an answer to the rough ride of my heep. All this time I thought the Bias-Ply LTBs, with "equal" were the reason for the "interesting" road manners. Never thought it could be the lack of carpet and floor mats. I am sure the lack of a headliner doesnt help either.. But the "empty trashcan" sound is very soothing...

Back