• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon T-case ?????

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Will it replace my 231 with sye ok in my auto 01.....
What would I need... Have a good oportunity knockin.... :us:
Thanks for any info..

Supposedly a direct replacement... go for it!

YETI said:
If you are buying it new from AA or somwhere just get an ATLAS. If you are getting it from a wreck then good choice.
I've heard this a lot, and yes the Atlas is a better t-case, but don't pretend like it's a small price difference. It's at least $1000 more for an Atlas, especially after driveshaft expenses.

the Rock-Trac t/case is not set up for an SYE, although it does have a yoke on the output.. RE and other vendors have a replacement yoke to accomodate a CV joint, i'm not sure what the difference is but there must be something different... i think its a great choice for a T/case! with the Rubicons i know that are total H/C rigs, i have lost respect for the stock axles and lockers.. but not one complaint about the 241, except an oil leak when it was new.... its a good upgrade over building up a 231 too considering the relative low cost....

Im getting mine from John at JB with standard 1330 yokes both front and rear(its optional/no extra charge) vs the rear harmonic balancer assembly!

1850,but still alot cheaper than the atlas,that plus no mods sold me on it!And it was still cheaper than my 231/hd sye/tera-low in my 2000.

I've had one installed on my 90 for over a year. I do like the 4-1 4lo. It wasn't exactly plug and play on my 90. I had it installed with a 98 AX-15 which matches up to the transfercase. I also had a custom armored crossmember built for the install. For my 90, I had to install an electronic speedometer in the dash along with wiring it. Buying the connector to hook to the speed sensor on the transfercase was a pain. Mopar only wants to sell harnesses. When I bought it from JB conversions they weren't being so accomodating on the yokes on the t-case. It has a 1330 front output, and required a shorter front driveshaft. Mine has the balancer yoke, so I had to buy an adapter, along with two Tom Woods driveshafts. Along with the Hurst quick shifter, we are talking some real money. As an aside, I had to have the rear driveshaft rebalanced. The factory tranny mount had to be modified, and the linkage had to be shortened.

I got some of the driving driveline vibes worked out, but I still have vibes from start up in neutral. The transfercase also won't shift into 4wd while I'm moving. I don't know what the problem is there.

If I did it again, I'd just get an Atlas.

Fred

Fred said:
I've had one installed on my 90 for over a year. I do like the 4-1 4lo. It wasn't exactly plug and play on my 90. I had it installed with a 98 AX-15 which matches up to the transfercase. I also had a custom armored crossmember built for the install. For my 90, I had to install an electronic speedometer in the dash along with wiring it. Buying the connector to hook to the speed sensor on the transfercase was a pain. Mopar only wants to sell harnesses. When I bought it from JB conversions they weren't being so accomodating on the yokes on the t-case. It has a 1330 front output, and required a shorter front driveshaft. Mine has the balancer yoke, so I had to buy an adapter, along with two Tom Woods driveshafts. Along with the Hurst quick shifter, we are talking some real money. As an aside, I had to have the rear driveshaft rebalanced. The factory tranny mount had to be modified, and the linkage had to be shortened.

I got some of the driving driveline vibes worked out, but I still have vibes from start up in neutral. The transfercase also won't shift into 4wd while I'm moving. I don't know what the problem is there.

That's odd, I thought that the housing was supposed to be identical to the 231? If so why did you have to modify the tranny mount?

while searching on google, i found this - thought people might be intersted... this guy is selling a built motor, trans, and rubi t-case as a package for 2500...

http://www.paragonap.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21887
might as well spend 800 more and get a stronger tranny, and a parts motor...

XJ_ranger said:
while searching on google, i found this - thought people might be intersted... this guy is selling a built motor, trans, and rubi t-case as a package for 2500...

http://www.paragonap.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21887
might as well spend 800 more and get a stronger tranny, and a parts motor...
if I had $3k that would be mine! good find.

>>That's odd, I thought that the housing was supposed to be identical to the 231? If so why did you have to modify the tranny mount?<<

I'd imagine the mount and crossmember in a TJ are quite different than in an XJ. I don't think the housing is identical, the transfercase is definitely bigger and heavier than a 231, which would make sense since it's originally from a pick up truck.

Fred

Kejtar said:
That's odd, I thought that the housing was supposed to be identical to the 231? If so why did you have to modify the tranny mount?

the case is not identical.. its a bit bigger.. not sure about the tranny mount issues..

Thanks for the info....Still working on the hook up.... :repair:

so what is the consensus will think thing bolt right up or not??
the magazine install says nothin about clearance or bolt pattern problems??
later models are easier???

Back