• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing on 31s?!?!

tayman said:
the off-centerdness is from the lift. your tracbar is what holds your axle centered. once you increase the angle, it has to move, so it shifts which ens up pulling your axle to the drivers sida a little. I think you would have noticed if a control arm came loose. Get on your back under the thing and look at it/grab and try to shake stuff. if anything is obviously loose that shouldn't be, then fix it. I don't know why you'd get rubbing all the time on only 31's. something's messed up. Is a piece of your fender liner or flare loose and drooping down hitting it? I might've said this earlier, but I had 31's on my XJ stock for a while, and it only rubbed under tight turning in the front. and over big bumps with a lot of weight it would rub in the back.

i have an adjustable track bar and everything is tight...if my camera wouldnt have bit the dust id go out and take a picture of it...you can clearly see that the drivers side of the axle is pushed back towards the drivers door and the passenger side is towards the header panel....

XJCruiser said:
you can clearly see that the drivers side of the axle is pushed back towards the drivers door and the passenger side is towards the header panel....

If that's the case, it sounds like your control arms are not the same length on both sides. Also check the stock adjustment at the frame.

Or do the 6" long arm thing....:laugh:

TRAILREADYXJ said:
If that's the case, it sounds like your control arms are not the same length on both sides. Also check the stock adjustment at the frame.

Or do the 6" long arm thing....:laugh:

measured control arms and they are the same length. the only thing i noticed about the stock adjustment was the one on the passenger side is moved towards the front of the frame and the drivers side is more towards the back of the frame....loosened them up and squared em up. now the tires appear to be centered in the wheel well. then had to get cleaned up to take the misses out for our valentines day dinner..i work 3rd she works 2nd. will check for tire rubbing/clearance hopefully tomorrow (possible freezing rain).

If you dont trim those fenders you will dent the shit out of them when you go off road. Besides your chances of denting the fenders when you go wheeling are high. Just follow the instructions that you have saved in your favorites and do it. You will be proud of your self when you are done. The best way to learn about your vehicle is to modify as much of it that you can by yourself. When you go off road you dont want to be picking up your fender flairs on the ground and throwing them in the back seat. I have 6" Long Arm Kit and 33" tires with plenty of fender trimming. I feel comfortable knowing that my tires are not going to hit the fender.

chris420 said:
If you dont trim those fenders you will dent the shit out of them when you go off road. Besides your chances of denting the fenders when you go wheeling are high. Just follow the instructions that you have saved in your favorites and do it. You will be proud of your self when you are done. The best way to learn about your vehicle is to modify as much of it that you can by yourself. When you go off road you dont want to be picking up your fender flairs on the ground and throwing them in the back seat. I have 6" Long Arm Kit and 33" tires with plenty of fender trimming. I feel comfortable knowing that my tires are not going to hit the fender.

well, considering the weather here in PA is complete crap right now :tears:, and i dont have a garage. i am gonna wait til spring time then i am going to do some trimming. so i guess ill just have to stay on road for now or hope for a few days in the 50s and sunny.

Back