• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country 4.5"

I've heard it depends on the year. I have a 94' and never had any rear drive line vibrations with only the TC drop. In fact I'm riding on 5.5" now and still do not need a SYE. I did get some pretty bad front driveline vibes due to the pinion angle change with non adjustable control arms.

Is an SYE still necessary with 4.5" if it has a Tcase drop? Where are you in jersey tom?

I never installed the t-case drop and I have no vibes. I have an '88 with a 242.

I believe 96-newer Creeps they recommend a SYE for 3.5in and anything higher its almost required... Now I havn't ordered my lift kit yet cause I'm researching SYEs... My $0.02

I really like my 4.5" lift. It was rough for a while, I think about 18 months. But it got real smooth when the springs broke in (the rears take that long to smooth out and get used to the weight I think). Install was very straight forward...we took 2 days and our time and had no snags. More needs to be disconnected from the front, and possibly the rear, to get the install done a little easier. Spring for quick discos though for the front, it's worth it. I have no vibes really from the lift, I think it's more towards the tires and wheels.
Note:I took the jeep out in FL for some spirited trail running at speed, and I broke one of the leaves in the passenger rear (jumping). It still rides great and had no effect on handling, but the pass rear side is about an inch lower than the other 3 corners.
All in all a good lift for the money. That being said I'm building my own lift on the 2door when I build that XJ up. I have a SYE and TW driveshaft but they're in the garage...just got them as a precaution when I bought the lift and never installed them.
Other note. the ride with the RC springs is rough. I put a set of BDS shocks on and it helped quite a bit. I also bent the driver's rear shock on the maiden voyage of my jeep with the lift on. I wasn't thrilled about that. The shaft on the BDS is noticably thicker and all my shocks have yet to have any issues after me beating on them repeatedly. Just m my 2c
Final note: They advertise that you can run 32" tire with 3.75" BS wheels. I tried that and it takes some trimming of plastic to be able to flex the lift out with and without the front SB connected.

Last edited:
Hard to say with my limited off road experience. It was at midnight up and over a mountain in eastern KY. There was a toyota with bald-ish tires that made it through everything we hit up (no lift). I'd say it was moderate. I ran that trail 3 times total in a year and a half and it flexes the suspension. I think the reason the shock bent was because the shaft was thin, they're cheap really. I pushed the suspension the way it is now and the only thing to give was because I didn't disconnect the front sway bar.

I installed this lift on my 99' xj a few days ago along with a 1" t-case drop and i have no driveline vibrations at all (very happy with that). I removed the front and rear swaybars so it flexes very well offroad. I drive it on the road like this as well and see no problem with how it handles.

Back