• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack + Wheeling = ?

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, this has been bugging me for sometime now. Virtually everytime I wheel my rig, I end up with some sort of roof rack issue. (last time was at Camp Jeep and the whole damn thing got ripped of by a tree I was fighting with, yep that was me on trail #2 Saturday if you were there). I also hear again and again about how the added weight at my lift height and tire size is "bad," off-camber and I guess never wanted to believe that b/cI liked the look of the rack and the convenience of having the spare, hi-lift, etc. out of sight and mind. Now, I am at 6" on 33 - 12.50's. The rack "was" a kargomaster steel with gutter mounts. I live and wheel in VA and we have lots of trees amongst the rocks, or rocks amongst the trees....I am thinking I am better off with a tiny, skinny rack u-bolted to the factory rails for a cargo only (off the trail) and maybe tools like a shovel, saw, lug wrench and some lighting for on the trail. Do all you who have these big racks with tires and the kitchen sink up there get off camber in the woods. I can't see (hindsight 20/20 here) how its even an option for wheeling in the places available to me. Thoughts?

P

I got rid of mine along time ago. Same problems, it seems it was in love with everything that it came in contact with. Trees and the like. I just put the spare on the floor in the back with the hi lift on Thule load bars on the roof. I'm going to make some kind of rear tire carrier with bumper one of these days. but time seems to be short. I would take it off but that is my 2 cents. Juice

No problems here.

But we only have two trees in this state, and they're not over trails. :D

Seriously, you bring up a good question.
A lot of 'Expedition Racks' are poser, others are necessary for anough gear and provisions for an extended backwoods holiday.

But heavy gear high on a vehicle is the LAST thing you want if you're twisting and swaying in tight spaces.
One of the best qualities of the XJ is it's compactness. This is defeated by placing a bulky load on the roof.

I've often thought an ideal roof rack would
1. Be large enough to carry 4'x8' sheets of drywall/plywood;
2. Be suitable for hauling the 'Expeditinary Stuff' to a trailhead campsite;
3. Be easily demountable for compact day trips on rough trails with just the minimum gear;
4. Act as a 'fly' to keep the sun off the 30 sq ft of steel roof (like the old safari Land Rovers); and
5. Be fairly aerodynamic when traveling unloaded.

Outfit your truck with what works for your and your needs.

I am glad I run mine. I ended up getting off camber and the roof rack caught some of the ledge next to me which prevented my XJ from landing on its side and possible causing some big damage.

ROB

Working on my rack design now. I have noticed a lot of racks have 4 or 5" clearance to the roof. I think 1" should be enough. One idea I had would be to bolt it right thru the roof (there are supports) I'm not sure if the frame flex would tear up the mounting area. I also want it as large as I can get it and as light as possible. When you run a full size spare your not left with much room in the back of the jeep. So a rack is the option I'm choosing.......although I will keep it unloaded as possible.

Jump This said:
Working on my rack design now. I have noticed a lot of racks have 4 or 5" clearance to the roof. I think 1" should be enough. One idea I had would be to bolt it right thru the roof (there are supports) I'm not sure if the frame flex would tear up the mounting area. I also want it as large as I can get it and as light as possible. When you run a full size spare your not left with much room in the back of the jeep. So a rack is the option I'm choosing.......although I will keep it unloaded as possible.

Do a search for FarmerMatt's roof rack............his is about as cool and functional as I've seen.

Image107.jpg

Image204.jpg

Image254.jpg

Here's a couple of different angles of my rack. Originally it mounted to the nutzerts in the roof. After winching off the roof several times they started to work loose. It's now mounted to my internal roll cage through the same holes. I don't know what my roof line would look like if I didn't have this rack. I've used those rub rails more times than I'd like to admit. Hope this helps Jump. I'd also like to here & see what you're planning to do.

Matt

GateKeeperNearRoll.jpg

Ya had to show another pic of that rack. I just wanna say thank you very much! LOL! Dont get me wrong, IMO that is one of the best designs I have ever seen. The only thing that rack's about is function. I myself go back and forth on the rack issue. The added stowage would be nice. Too much extra hieght and my concerns about the C.O.G. has me against the idea again. It would be nice to have light mounted to the rack, but they would end up being WAAAY up there. Easy target. Matt's light mounts are to me the best of both worlds. The tree sliders put it over the top!
So now I'm back to thinking rack again, and it ain't gonna be able to just run out and buy one. That's just great! LOL!
:eek:
Isn't it funny how quick you can change a man's mind with a great rack?

My rack is a safari rack that measures 4'6" x 7'. It has expanded metal as a floor, and has 8 lights mounted to it. Estimated weight is 350 lbs.

A heavy pig for sure, even heavier with a hi-lift and a 38" swamper. It definitely affects your CofG, and I am not arguing that weight up high is a bad thing.

BUT that rack has saved me at least 8 rear windows, and two door windows. As with Farmer Matt's rig above, my rack stops the Jeep leaning into trees and destroying windows, the rack has taken a LOT of abuse. After ripping it off the roof for the second time at this year's BOTW event, it is now securely welded to the roof.

Plus my rack fits a two person mattress for sleeping under the stars, I know it's not Africa with lions but I figure I will leave the floor sleepers for the bears!!

My last 4x4 (Range Rover) had a full custom safari rack and it was both very useful and looked great. I loved it and it served me very well for many years.

My current xj does not have a full safari rack for a couple of reasons. First I do not want any more weight up there than absolutely necessary and I do not want it to sit any higher than necessary (I wheel with lots of trees also).

With this in mind, my 33x12.5 sits in the back of my rig and I have a tool box next to it that slides out (like a draw) that holds all of my heavy tools low and inside the truck. I built a cover that goes over the tire and tool box that holds them down in the case of a accident and allows me to put groceries, and camping stuff above the tire and tool box in the back. I also have a pair of yakima bars on the top to hold long shovels, sand tracks, and a high lift (that I will eventually put on the bumpers for lower c.g.). I also build limb risers (on all land rovers, they are wire that goes from the front grill guard up to the top of the rack to protect the lights, and rack from catching the tree's) they work really well for keeping the trees out of my stuff on top of the roof. I can send a photo to anyone who wants to see.

If I were to build a nother rack it would be very low to the top of the truck and would integrate tree sliders, and would be very low profile (maybe no side rails). I definetly would not want a spare tire up there (just my opinion).

Michael

I think on a day to day usage kinda rig (mine) I would like to store the spare on top for more storage inside. When wheeling I like the idea of haveing the spare inside. I also need the rack for occational load carrying duties. The tree slider idea works with me also....

Matt, I didn't think you ever loaded that thing up, for fear of tipping over. :D I mean with all that lift you got :eek:

ya know, with all that lift you could fit some bigger tires under it :D
like those new mt/r 40's :looser:

looks to me like you're evaluating two different products here: a roof rack and Matt's kick ass roof guards. Since I've never seen another roof rack quite like that and I also see no reason why you couldn't have the roof guards without the rack, I'd judge them separately.

With that in mind, I say roof racks are largely useless. 95% of the time, I see nothing on them but a max ax and a spare tire. The max axes are rarely used, but are exceptional at grabbing foliage along the trail. And anyone who has put a 33"+ spare tire onto their rack will do everything in their power to avoid using that spare ever again. I say skip the rack and pocket the $50-350 (depending on whether it's built or bought).

I carry my spare inside the vehicle flat on the floor, along with the rest of my cargo. Accessible=good.

FarmerMatt said:

I like the tail lights...just finished mine tonight. :D

As for the rack. After a tree fell on my XJ, I added a "rack". It is a simple design of 1/8x2"x2" angle cut to fit the roof. Welded 1/2 flat to attach to the stock cross bars. It added about 50# to the top, but I have had it at 30 degrees with no problem.

racks

The bottom line is do you really need it. I use to wheel a Suburban, and with 2 dogs, 2 kids, and a weekends worth of gear, I'd fill the truck and a hitch buddy, and still not have enough room for everything I wanted to bring. Now, I have to admit, I brought "WAY" more crap than I'd probably ever need(guns and ammo for a well outfitted recon squad, plus enough beer for a Packers tailgate party, not to mention enough clothes for all of us to change everyday for a couple of weeks). When I got the XJ, I scaled back the amount of stuff I bring considerably, but, I still gotta bring the kids, so there goes the back seat. I've got a wilderness rack(4'6"x6'6") and I fill it too capacity(plus the hitch buddy) for the trip to and from, but when I get where I'm going I'll usually pull the rack down to wheel, but this is only if there is someone available to help me because it's a heavy SOB. If I could, I'd get rid of it and travel with less stuff, but for me that's not an option. Just like everything else Jeep, it's up to each individual to define what they "need" vs. what they've been told they need. If you're just looking for someplace for a spare, make a holddown inside the back for it, and leave the vanity racks to the Xterra crowd. Just my .02

Cheers,
goldxj

Well I used to run I safari rack and used it all the time...I pulled it to have a new one built and never put anything back on...I now run a Thule Box for dry storage up there when I need it...no it isn't as "Safari": looking as a Safari rack, but that's not what it';s about...it's about doing it, not looking it...it was always such a PITA to have to tarp all the pack up on the roof if it was snowing or raining...the Thule Box is nice and dry...

Only drawback to it is that if I whack it good, it will likely crack...guess I'll just fix it with a lil Carbon fiber then:D

Comes down to how you use the pig...day use? good chance you'll be fine without one. If you're like me, most trips are one or several nights (with the dog and a Passenger), a lil extra cargo space is nice!

Look, there is discussion on tire sizes, lifts, snorkles and even racks. The bottom line ? what is your rig built for. For me, I like to hunt, fish and camp in the back country. I like to get as far away as possible from all the idiots out there, you know try to find the "peace & quiet". So with a dog and 7 year old daughter I have no room for my spare tire or gear. My Wilderness rack has all the bells and whistles but is very functional for my needs. We all know how small are XJ's are inside. And my rack has saved my roof twice now from damage, Wilderness is built pretty tough. Good thread, like the responses.

Back