• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack build thread

rack_16.jpg

rack_17.jpg

rack_18.jpg

I'm exhausted. No words. Glad it's over.

I'll revisit this when my hands stop tingling.

People who have never fabbed anything, have no idea how much work actually goes into projects. Good job. There's a reason that hand made bumpers start at $500-600, for example.

It definitely looks good. I will say since I have seen this rack in person. It was heavily over-engineered. The welds for a first timer look great and the weight and strength will be beasty.

Nice work CK. Cannot wait to get this sucker out and see about any small issues that we discussed. IE. Roof flapping, insulation etc..

RK

People who have never fabbed anything, have no idea how much work actually goes into projects. Good job. There's a reason that hand made bumpers start at $500-600, for example.
That was a very real lesson in this build. Those hours measuring, cutting, grinding, mocking up (even just tack welding), finish welding, cleaning up, preparing for paint, and finally painting, tend to add up ridiculously quickly. It's easy to overlook at a seemingly simple project can have so many things to do. This rack, for example, has right around 400 welds on it (I can't weld a continuous bead around 3/4" square - can anyone?).

Thanks for the kind words guys. Definitely a hell of a lot learned over the last month... Can't wait to have a much, much larger garage.

Oh yeah - and flux slag melts the surface of your windows. Just thought I'd share.

tmyk.jpg

Back