• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolling back the Dial

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
What is needed to roll back the miles on my 88'? I have looked at the odimeter and it doesn't look that hard to do. What do I need to do with the state to report it or does it matter? I have about 18,500 miles on it now after the new engine. Almost a year old. Thanks, Juice

I pulled an odometer when I was contemplating a cluster swap. I couldn't figure out how to disengage the retainer to allow the odometer to go backwards. I saw a discussion awhile ago of how someone did it, but his method involved breaking something off and then adhering it with super glue after rolling back the numbers. Not my way of working.

However -- if the odometer is the original for your vehicle, you don't roll back the numbers because you changed the engine. The odometer, by law, is supposed to indicate the number of miles the vehicle has traveled. If you swap or rebuild the engine, you just record what the mileage was when you did that and keep track of engine mileage by subtraction from vehicle mileage.

Everything else is still "old". Just because you replaced the engine doesn't "allow" you to roll it back.

The only time you could legitimately roll it back would be if you replaced the odometer with one that showed more miles than actual. Even then, I wouldn't do it. If you were to call the BMV, what do you think they would say?

When I swapped to gauges(vice idiot lights) I did it. The new set had 204K and my rig only had 156 at the time. Anyway, its been a while so, I probably wont be much use. You can do it one of two ways. Either roll it back manually, or there is a way to push the wheels(Sorry if this sounds vague) apart slightly(Right/left), and that way you can spin it freely. Then slip it back into place.

You have to be careful, and only do one at a time. Also, ensure they all(the numbers) line up evenly else it will look goofy. Best bet is to set it to a nice even number. I used the old one to experiment on, that helped me alot...again its been a good long while since I have done it so, I can not remember everything I did. But it wasnt too hard...just try and not force it too much alse it will break.

my odometer was broken before the previous owner got it so the title has an "odometer discrepancy" on it..... i dont care about it but the state RMV does.. and IIRC it is a federal offense to knowingly tamper with a vehicle odometer with the intent to defraud.... not that im accusing you of that but if you change it and do not report it to your state as a discrpancy it could get you in BIG $HIT if you arent careful.... im not sure how states that dont require titles handle that situation.... in my opinion there is no legitimate reason to tamper with an odometer unless you buy one that registers more than the actual miles on your vehicle, and even then it's still tampering... sorry to make it sound like im blastin ya but its best to leave it alone...
mike

I don't think it's considered to be "tampering" if you replace the speedo and adjust the "new" odometer to indicate the actual mileage on the vehicle. It IS tampering if you remove mileage from your original odometer to match the mileage on a replacement engine.

Every state is probably different. Connecticut is a title state, and on the back of the title there is a place where you must write in the mileage if you sell the vehicle. If the odometer is not original and accurate, you have to declare same in that place on the title. AFAIK there is no report required to the DMV ... they have no system for tracking such data.

As an example, the odometer was not working on my '88 MJ when I bought it. (There was no drive gear in the transfer case ... duh!). It now works and is accurate, but since I have no knowledge of how many miles the previous owner drove with no speedo, I will not be able to certify that the total mileage is accurate when I sell it.

Well than, thanks for the replys. Looks like everyone was thinking i'm going to pull the wool over someones eyes. Not true. Just looking to have it up to date with the engine. Not looking to sell or change anything with the DMV. Tagged in MD. Don't have to go through anything. One time inspection, two year smog test. Don't know if I said it before but I do have the origanal one and a replacement gauge set. Wasn't going to true the origanal one, just the replacement to see if I could do it. Which I did last night. Again, not trying to hurt anyone or defraud the system or try to sell a 88' XJ with 18,245 miles on it if that were the real miles. Thanks Juice

juicexj24 said:
Again, not trying to hurt anyone or defraud the system or try to sell a 88' XJ with 18,245 miles on it if that were the real miles. Thanks Juice

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it looks like you still think that 18,000 miles are the true miles on it. :confused:

No the true miles are 239,45*. I know that those are the miles on the Jeep. I have owned it since 1997 when I got it was 127,***. It has 18,*** on the new engine and gears. Not the real miles on the Jeep. I'm not that dumb. I don't believe that by changing to a new engine that the whole thing is new! i was just asking what was needed to roll back another odometer that I had and what would I need to do with the state. I did figure out how to roll it back. I know the true miles on the jeep, and I have two odometers to work with. I am keeping the real one where it is at 239,45*.I have done ones before just wanted to see if this one could be done and how different they are from older muscle. That is all. Juice

This has become a touchy issue, at work I have experianced this problem a few times, and many places will not sell you a guage cluster unless you first send then your old one so that they can match the miles. Just be carefull with what you do.

juicexj24 said:
No the true miles are 239,45*. I know that those are the miles on the Jeep. I have owned it since 1997 when I got it was 127,***. It has 18,*** on the new engine and gears. Not the real miles on the Jeep. I'm not that dumb. I don't believe that by changing to a new engine that the whole thing is new! i was just asking what was needed to roll back another odometer that I had and what would I need to do with the state. I did figure out how to roll it back. I know the true miles on the jeep, and I have two odometers to work with. I am keeping the real one where it is at 239,45*.I have done ones before just wanted to see if this one could be done and how different they are from older muscle. That is all. Juice
I wasn't saying that you are dumb and if I implied that I appologize. It was not intentional. :peace:

Juice, I think we all understood that what you want to do is match the odometer to the engine. I understood that, anyway. I didn't think you were trying to hoodwink anyone.

That doesn't alter the fact that doing so is illegal. The odometer is supposed to reflect the mileage on the vehicle, not the mileage on the engine. Doesn't matter if you keep the original cluster on a shelf. Once you take out the original odometer and drive the vehicle, the mileage showing on the original is no longer accurate.

If you pull the speedo assembly out of the cluster, you will see a small c clip on the shaft that all of the number wheels ride on. I think it is on the right side if you are looking at the back. you can get it off with a small pick or screwdriver. Once the clip is off, you can slide the wheels over a little to disengage the gears and then you can turn them individually. I have done it on a few that were used as replacements.
Email me if you have any trouble.
Dustin

Finally someone who could help me. Thanks for the info. I'll try to do it that way. The way I did it it only turned the first two numbers. I took the whole thing off and couldn't get it to align back up. I'll give it a shot. Juice

I will be replacing my cluster shortly; the speedo is jumping all over the place, the hi-beam indicator doesn’t work and all the measurements are in metric-Damn Canadians!!! :D At any rate, can the odometer on a ’91 (electronic speedo input) be changed the same way as on a ’88 (mechanical speedo input)? Or is this one of those things you just take to a speedo shop and have them recalibrate the odometer. For the record I’m not trying to pull a fast one, I just want my replacement odometer to match my original odometer.

Back