• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll Cage ?????

Keenphis

NAXJA Forum User
Asking this here for some somewhat local ideals.
I have a couple of questions about internal roll cages for the XJ. I posted a thread a few weeks ago and in the modified tech thread to help me make up my mind. I have done a ton of searching on the different companies and have come up with: S&W racing, DandC extreme, EOR, and T and J performance. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this on Friday and would like a little advise on personal experience.
I have heard good things about T and J performance cages and seeing as how they are close enough for me to go pick it up the price difference would be the same as far as shipping goes. I can get a S and W racing kit for 450 to my door, but after reading RWK haus supply's thread on this one I don't know about it.
I guess my main question is weather or not s&w has improved on their product or not. I have extended Google and the most recent thread is from like 07. Any advise is greatly appreciated seeing as how I am about to pull out all my hair.
Along with this the cheapest price I can find for an install in my area is $350 and that's with me stripping the interior. I am not sure if that's a fair price or if one of you guys know of a better option for me, cause all in all this is going to cost me about a grand. I know that its my safety and all but I also like to save a dollar.
Any and all criticism is greatly appreciated.

$350 for installation and welding of a full cage... in an xj.... is a XXXXing steal... let me tell you. of the people youve listed, i would go with t&j... its kinda lame, but their base price, is HREW tubing IIRC....

rock crawler, or prerunner/jeepspeed? 2door or 4door? 2 seater or 4 seater? mild or wild? all that will affect price...

go talk to jimmy at outdoorlogic. he will build you a bad ass cage for around your price range and hes the type that likes to just toss in the added pimpedness here and there.

I have a T&J kit that I will be installing in the near future. If your a red letter member T&J will give you a discount. I'm not sure what a $350 install is. 3 hrs labor of a qualified welder plus shop supplies? I think it would take longer than that to get it done well especially some kits that need to drop thru the floor. Make sure they have fire blankets and won't splatter your glass or burn up your headliner and that they can lay a bead in all positions. For the cage to be worth anything they need to fully weld the tubes and not just what's visable.

I have a T&J kit that I will be installing in the near future. If your a red letter member T&J will give you a discount. I'm not sure what a $350 install is. 3 hrs labor of a qualified welder plus shop supplies? I think it would take longer than that to get it done well especially some kits that need to drop thru the floor. Make sure they have fire blankets and won't splatter your glass or burn up your headliner and that they can lay a bead in all positions. For the cage to be worth anything they need to fully weld the tubes and not just what's visable.

That's the price for the guy who is the welding instructor at Ventura community college. The plan was to just leave the jeep with him and let him work on it at his convenience.

$350 for installation and welding of a full cage... in an xj.... is a XXXXing steal... let me tell you. of the people youve listed, i would go with t&j... its kinda lame, but their base price, is HREW tubing IIRC....

rock crawler, or prerunner/jeepspeed? 2door or 4door? 2 seater or 4 seater? mild or wild? all that will affect price...

T and J seams to be the one. As far as which cage I am not sure I called them and they quoted me right at 700 out the door for their basic cage if I pick it up.
Its a 94 2door and I need to keep the seats for the little ones 8 and 3.
Mild or Wild? I am not sure, I don't plan on doing 80 mph baja runs through Mojave. But I also don't want to do 74 mph (top speed) runs to the Hospital if I roll.

That's the price for the guy who is the welding instructor at Ventura community college. The plan was to just leave the jeep with him and let him work on it at his convenience.

T and J seams to be the one. As far as which cage I am not sure I called them and they quoted me right at 700 out the door for their basic cage if I pick it up.
Its a 94 2door and I need to keep the seats for the little ones 8 and 3.
Mild or Wild? I am not sure, I don't plan on doing 80 mph baja runs through Mojave. But I also don't want to do 74 mph (top speed) runs to the Hospital if I roll.
That guy knows his stuff! VC is right down the street from me, and $350 install is a steal! Do it!

the reason i ask about 'mild or wild' is even the t&j kit.. which is designed for jeepspeed racing... isnt 100% complete COMPLETE.... you might want to add-on extra stuff... ie go 'wild'. the fact that you have kids, means its gonna be mild.

the t&j kit is looking more and more like the winning kit for you.

one problem i see.... 2 door.... + a cage....+ 2 kids.... how they gonna get in? and make sure your cage is padded hardcore.... since you cant run 5point harness's, with a 2door that you need to be able to get into the back seat....

Skulliver, thanks for the goods props on him, I have heard good things also but it helps to hear it from an outside source.

I have the t&j cage in my 4 door dd. I welded it in myself took a few weekends. Nice cage but I need to tie it in to the frame rails. If you want the safety of having a cage and also keep the space freed up in the cab T&J is the way to go.

168794_1863678349873_1178410200_2310971_4942797_n.jpg

I have the t&j cage in my 4 door dd. I welded it in myself took a few weekends. Nice cage but I need to tie it in to the frame rails. If you want the safety of having a cage and also keep the space freed up in the cab T&J is the way to go.

168794_1863678349873_1178410200_2310971_4942797_n.jpg

That looks very nice, IMO! Is what I see, "what fedex brought"? or are there things that have been added?

Back