• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Replacement 2x6 what wall thickness

i put in .095 wall 2x6 rockers last january and have beat it pretty hard, coming down hard on it, on a bunch of trails including the con a few times this last summer. i figure when it starts to get crappy ill weld up some 3/16 2x2 angle on the outside...

I used 1/8" 2x6, then used 2" 1/8" angle on the outer corner. Tied it into tnt unibody stiffeners. Keeps weight down, 1/4" where it needs it to prevent denting, and gives you a lip on the bottom side to prevent your highlift jack from slipping off.

Between 1/4 or 3/16 your talking 30 ish pounds if you use most of the stick. I used it for the rockers, front bumper, and soon to be rear bumper. I trust 1/4 for smashing trees better so that's what I ordered.

I make my own trails sometimes (private land), most of the time this involves running small trees over. Here is an example of how you can use the rest of the 20ft section to make a front bumper.

Itrack, is that a Boss302??

If I have to buy the entire 20 ft stick, I plan on using the rest to create the sides of a rear bumper and protect the cut and folded rear quarters. Should work perfectly.

Between 1/4 or 3/16 your talking 30 ish pounds if you use most of the stick. I used it for the rockers, front bumper, and soon to be rear bumper. I trust 1/4 for smashing trees better so that's what I ordered.

I get the whole tree smashing thing (my doors and door handles are quite wavy) but I'd love to see what kind of trees you are running into that will bend 3/16" wall square tubing.

Last edited:
Yup its a Boss. Let me put it this way about the tree's, its good to have 1/4" but not needed compared to 3/16. I could move stalled cars out of the way with this one though if the need ever arrived :). The whole point I'm trying to make is the cost and weight are a moot point. If I remember correctly the 1/4 was cheaper due to them having it in stock when I called vs the 3/16.

Remember when you guys are talking about the ~30lb difference, it's sprung weight, so it's all good. If this were below the rig on the axles it would definitely affect how the vehicle handled (assuming the OP takes it on the street). Sprung weight = go for 1/4".

Im a Rocker Mocker ! Fawker !

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd489/Outkastboss/CIMG0040.jpg

My welder buddy isnt here to ask how he wants them so how did you guys cut your endcaps to fit ? Cant seem to find any pictures that help..

Should it but up to the 2x6 (probably) or fit inside ? . If the caps are going to add i need top recut the rocker a bit shorter to compensate..

you could do it either way, depending on your preference. I'd probably cut to fit inside, bevel the inside of the 2x6, bevel the edge of the endcap, then fill the resulting valley in. Reminds me, I need to find my welding magnets for this.

i did something a little different. my fenders are jankey, and i want to replace them when possible. but i didnt want to have to modify new fenders when i finally found some in my paint code. i made a little horn... this area is very unikely to get hit, so i wasnt super worried about strength. could be a cool point for an exo bumper to rocker tie in though.

285433_202950333092724_100001332774399_466934_4137780_n.jpg

254793_202953179759106_100001332774399_466936_5452482_n.jpg

i did something a little different. my fenders are jankey, and i want to replace them when possible. but i didnt want to have to modify new fenders when i finally found some in my paint code. i made a little horn... this area is very unikely to get hit, so i wasnt super worried about strength. could be a cool point for an exo bumper to rocker tie in though.

the tube i got second hand wasnt long enough in the first place to run the whole length of the fender to the major trimming i did, let alone to where i want to trim new fenders when i find some. my fenders are also so so craptastic that it wouldnt have been worth it to make them work. new ones will just bolt in like stock, mo modifications.

this mod probably put manufactured rock slider sales to an all time low

I put some 1/8" strap on the sill where the stock metal met the 2x6, provides a better surface to weld to that's not going to just blow through

1302474614.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

I stopped before the fender

DSC00323.jpg

9-11-11022.jpg

12-22-11075.jpg

Oh I went with what ever I could find/get a deal on, just got lucky it was 3/16.

Back