• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Replacement 2x6 what wall thickness

In my mind it doesn't make sense to use thicker and heavier material than needed. I would only do 1/4" if 3/16" wasn't sufficient. Same thing could be said for 3/16" vs 1/8" and there have been some good ideas posted on how to make 1/8" work. If I was going to do the 1/8", I would weld an additional length of 1/8" angle along the bottom edge. The reason being is to protect against bending as well as gouging (I use mine as an air tank).

I do not like the thought process of going with 1/4" over 3/16" simply because its "only 35 lbs more". Get in the habit of doing that and "its only 35 lbs more" if I go with 1/4" on the rear bumper. Only 35 lbs more with 1/4" for the front bumper, etc. (Not exact figures, but hopefully you get the point) Before you know it you are pushing several hundred extra pounds around that really serve no purpose (and cog is not one of them). It does add up and it does make a difference.

I'll get off my soap box now...

On my first trail rig I used 2x4x1/4", I dropped hard on them many times and they laughed.

Then I handed the XJ off to my son and as kids will do he pulled out in front of a Chevy Avalanche that was going 45mph. He hit dead center on the pass side and on the sliders. The 2x4x1/4 didn't even bend! The sliders took a direct side hit and pushed the unibody in 8 inches but the steel is still good and I still have it to make other projects out of.

I say go 1/4" wall, it will take whatever you throw at it, even a chevy truck thing.

I used 1/8'', but mine is a little higher and more protected than most I have seen.
00315.jpg

You can always use 1/8'' and get some 1/8'' angle iron and weld it to the bottom edge. Doubling up your thickness where you need it, and not adding more weight than needed.

OP: how good can you weld? 1/4 is going to be pretty tough to tie into the sheetmetal. I know my 3/16 was.

On my first trail rig I used 2x4x1/4", I dropped hard on them many times and they laughed.

Then I handed the XJ off to my son and as kids will do he pulled out in front of a Chevy Avalanche that was going 45mph. He hit dead center on the pass side and on the sliders. The 2x4x1/4 didn't even bend! The sliders took a direct side hit and pushed the unibody in 8 inches but the steel is still good and I still have it to make other projects out of.

I say go 1/4" wall, it will take whatever you throw at it, even a chevy truck thing.

That 2x4 took the hit on the side it is designed to be stressed in. Pushing on the skinny side of a rectangle is the strong way to load them. Think about above a window or door frame.

OP: how good can you weld? 1/4 is going to be pretty tough to tie into the sheetmetal. I know my 3/16 was.

My Buddy is in the Local Boilermakers union (2 years i think ) they have him taking classes and was taking weekly classes for like 2 years before that.

So he's ok. Were taking it in to his class on wens to do it..

With the Jeep kings walkthrough (how were chosing to mount them)
you weld 1" flat bar to the top of where the 2x6 will slide in.
I forgot what thickness but it was in between the sheet and the 2x6 size (to be transitional)
And a 2x2 angle and then the 2x6 slides in and then gets welded .

Talked with a guy that owns a local metal yard and he says he will have the 3/16" 2x6 for me and will even give me a discount since hes friends with a good buddy of mines (my welder friend) dad .
So thats what im doing..

Id like to do my unirail (is that what the "frame" rail is called or is that a train?) tie ins like Zr2toXJ did .. But im still not shure how i will do that (we have no metal brake)

Last edited:
I did mine out of 1/8" but not much of the bottom is showing. I used plate 1/4 to skin them in a sense so rocks really can't bash the thin portions so easily

IMG_3222_0055.jpg

if you are cutting out all of your rocker and trimming your doors up a bit, then welding the rect. tube to the unibody. i say just use 1/8in. the tube will be supported from the top and when you add some stand offs on the bottom it will support it that way too.

this is how i did mine. but this is all theory because i just pulled it out of the garage and haven't wheeled it yet.

but in my head it's the same concept as a cage. they are mostly all made out of .120 and hold up just fine to multiple roll overs as long as they are designed properly

How often do you use your sliders vs how often do you use your cage in a rollover?

Plenty of people have had to replace tubing in their cage after a roll because of dents.

I'm not necessarily advocating on size over the other, but I went with 1/4" because I didn't really give it much thought.

How often do you use your sliders vs how often do you use your cage in a rollover?
the curbs at the mall aren't tall enough to hit sliders, dude.

when i build things... i build with one thought in mind:
"it doesnt have to last forever, it just has to last longer than the jeep."

1/4 may be overkill, but it fits my criteria. and its what i got a deal on when i bought the metal second hand, from someone who decided not to do the install on their jeep.

I used 3/16 on my 2x4 rockers and on my latest 2x6 version...both held up great to Sierra rocks. I definitely understand using what you have or get for free...but working with 1/4" isn't that much fun with typical cutting tools and the weight can add up like Eric mentioned.

Back