• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock rails...

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
Frustrated...

So I have this awesome set of rock rails....but installing them has :dunno: me. If I line up the mounts for the frame rail, the pinch seam mounts aren't flush....if I line up the pinch seam mounts flush, then the frame rail mounts aren't flush.

Am I missing something? Or am I just :gee: and trying to be too much of a perfectionist?

(Rails are from AJ, top notch product, in no way am I saying anything is wrong with his product, just wondering how to "properly" install them.

Thanks!
MF

I bolted mine up the frame rails, then took a floor jack with some wood underneath it and pushed them up till they were even with the pinch seam and touching the bottem of the rocker and bolted them up.

-Alex

Ok, thanks :) :thumbup: sounds like a good idea!

I guess you took advantage of the $280 deal also. I found that the best thing to do is hold them in place with jacks and then mark all the locations of the "feet" and then the 4 bolts for the pinch seam even if the rails are lower than the seam. Then, drill them all and put the rails back into position. Put the spring hanger nut and bolt in, followed by the 4 seam bolts and nuts. The seam bolts will be at an angle, so don't worry bout lining them up yet. Drop the jack and put all the self tappers in. Go back and tighten everything up, making sure you get the pinch seam last. I think the pinch bolt are extra long for a reason...

I have the same ones. I just pushed them up in and used a pair of vice-grips (on the pinch seam) to hold it in place. I pressed it up as far as it would go and drilled the holes.

Hijacking my own thread...

I also installed the RE HD trackbar, bracket and brace today....very sweet. But again...not everything lines up perfect right off the bat. You gotta kind of tighten each bolt a little bit at a time - "cinches" everything up together. Does that sound about right?

Very noticable difference up front now :) there is a little clunk here and there, I think it might be that rebuildable joint on the one end of the trackbar....yeah?

Hijacking my own thread...

I also installed the RE HD trackbar, bracket and brace today....very sweet. But again...not everything lines up perfect right off the bat. You gotta kind of tighten each bolt a little bit at a time - "cinches" everything up together. Does that sound about right?

Very noticable difference up front now :) there is a little clunk here and there, I think it might be that rebuildable joint on the one end of the trackbar....yeah?

Sounds right. As far as the clunck, it could be. I have it as well but I think it's a wheel bearing. Also, you'll have to weld the bracket to the frame. That sucker moves around a lot, even with the brace.

yeah, i've heard about that...already drove it around, came back home, and re-tightened it...lol....their directions say to use threadlocker, so I will end up doing that too...

Thread locker will work good but I think the bracket actually flexes. Where the bolts are located isn't enough to hold it firmly in place. I put a tack weld in that circle cutout but it didn't help. I still need to get it welded all the way around.

Do you think it would be best to have it fully welded all the way around? Or just a couple of 1-2" welds spaced out?

When I do mine I want to have it fully welded around. It might work either way but I want to make sure it's not going anywhere. I first have to find a welder that knows what the hell he's doing lol.

LOL...yeah, easier for you though, you're close to a pretty big city - and I'm sorry, but if you can't find a good welder in STEEL COUNTRY, then we're all screwed!!! :D

LOL, you'd be surprised. Last time I went to a "good welder" he burnt a hole in my frame. A different jeep I had but still.

Don't put a stick anywhere near the xj!!!

Actually my RK trac bar did the same thing, really annoying noise.

All you need is one good sized tac, that way after you undo the 4 bolts, you can bend the mount off.

Welds can be bent and broken as long as its only on one side. That way you can remove the mount if need be.

You could be right. Where mine was welded "looked" good but it didn't function the way I wanted it to. Maybe two nice tacks on either side along the bottom would do the trick.

I'm still welding the whole thing though. I can't see a reason I'll ever need to remove it.

I did two 1'' welds along the side, and one 1'' along the bottom on the front side of my RE bracket. I had it come loose three different times on the Rubicon, so I said enough is enough, and burned that sucker in.

I didnt want to drop the coil to get the backside of the bracket, which is why I only did the front. Also, I did some homemade frame stiffeners up there, so I was welding it to 1/8'' and not the stock "frame."

Call or fire me a message if you need any help. Most of the time what happens is that the leg going to the framerail is hitting the pinch seam and acting as a pivot. So by trimming the pinch seam a little bit above the front and rear leg, it fits a lot better.

Back