• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock rails

my rockrails are fastened to the pinch seam below the doors and bolt up and under the unibody points. i have the 4x4 fab rails. they seem plenty strong for now.

kbradner said:
Thanks f9k9, I dont let it bother me. Anyway that is the situation I am in. I dont know what kind they are, I bought them off ebay and they didnt com ewith instructions or hardware. I am just trying to figure out which way would be the strongest way to mount them. Oh yeah and by the way, are you still in the marines, I noticed the semper fi

Here is a couple pics of mine, they are JCRs. If, they are JCRs they weld they the letter "F" on one of the main supports indicating front, of course.

ea11606d.jpg

ea116067.jpg

I am no longer in the Corps. I got out after two tours in another unpopular conflict 35 years ago:patriot:

Do you see the welds ? Tons of the guys on this here forum do it.:yap:
17 posts. How long have you owned your XJ ? I have 3 and have owned XJs
for over 10 years. Even if they are ripped off it can be patched. Look at these
builds and then judge it next to yours, then we will talk again. Check out the
videos to and you may understand better why in some cases you have to weld
them on.

http://myweb.cableone.net/cherokeexj/

Last edited:
Well I am a noob! 49ers, so is is safe to weld a bumper on also? I mean, the unibody is a piece of shit. I was just under the impression that, being 16 guage steel, the weld area would suffer. I'm learning. My bad for being ignorant

If you do it right or have some one do it that knows how to weld good like I did. I'd burned right thru it and it would of looked like a cat turd. You need to turn down the heat for sure. Practice on an area that doesn't show. I ripped off an entire LCA bracket and had to have it welded back on. I used the same fella because of how well he welds.Then I put in the RE gussets to reinforce the brackets. I guess at some point it'll get tubed and everything just tied into together to strengthen it. The uni-frames do suck, but the XJs are to good off road so you just build around its weaknesses.
We were all noobs at one time and I had to take my medicine the same way.
See yuh !

Pro Stock John said:
Like for the JCR's, you weld around the two square brackets, nowhere else? Thanks for the thread.
Yeah I had to weld on the pinch seam also because I ripped those bolts out when I tore off my Rock Rail. That was about 5 minutes before I wiped out a D30 housing and a u-joint and axle shaft. Footage provided by Google:gee: You'll see where my foot slipped off the brake and on to the Throttle. That was an ass pucker.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2777981893613797927&q=2+headed+dragon&hl=en

Last edited:
Back