• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring & Pinions

ladrew said:
Genuine Gears from 4 wheel parts are really cheap with a lifetime warranty. The brand and quality of gears you buy could result in a negative or positive experience on the trail.
that's why you stay away from Genuine Gear. There is a reason why they come with a lifetime warranty (from what everyone told me!). Anyways brands to get are Spicer, Superior, Yukon from what I recall. I just picked up a set of Alloy USA ones (I think they bought someone but I can't remember who).

Kejtar said:
that's why you stay away from Genuine Gear. There is a reason why they come with a lifetime warranty (from what everyone told me!). Anyways brands to get are Spicer, Superior, Yukon from what I recall. I just picked up a set of Alloy USA ones (I think they bought someone but I can't remember who).

Actually Precision bought them (Alloy). Good gears though, typically.

Stay away from Genuine Gear, Sierra Gear, Cheap import Yukon, and anything made in a Asian country (not being "racist" just thats the crap materials).

ROBERTK said:

No. Alloy-USA bought Precision Gear and Reider Racing - not the other way around.

ROBERTK said:
performanceoffroadcenter.com or unitrax (714)630-4327
can't say nothing about pork besides the fact that there style of sales I don't agree with.
Ive redone work previously done by unitrax unfortunatly.

ladrew said:
Genuine Gears from 4 wheel parts are really cheap with a lifetime warranty. The brand and quality of gears you buy could result in a negative or positive experience on the trail.
DOn't buy them and bring them to me to install. I give GG a 20' warranty. And simply prefer not to even touch them.

One wonders how many times you've had to warantee Genuine gears, even at 20'. ;)

ROBERTK said:

Stay away from Genuine Gear, Sierra Gear, Cheap import Yukon, and anything made in a Asian country (not being "racist" just thats the crap materials).
Got your country of MFG's off as well.
GG's I've seen come from one of the knees country's. Taiwan, china... you get it. Sierra, Yukon and the most common gears are made in India. Yes, better QC. I've been told that superior is made in Italy but not sure about the source.
and I don't think Alloy USA gears were being made in the USA either. Maybe now with PG on board. but that might be a ? for Mike.
having a couple hundred gearsets under my belt means that I've installed pretty much every brand.
I have a personal boycott against superior. nothing to do with there product, just the business ethics.
I chose Yukon because I found it to bethe best bang for the buck. but in hi power apps I chose other gearsets. SIerra is the same just a different label. in fact, lots of brands are made from the same mfg and just shipped in bulk then boxed up.
just my .02

cal said:
One wonders how many times you've had to warantee Genuine gears, even at 20'. ;)
non, cuz no body wants to trust a 20' warranty that comes with the $20 they save on gears.
Most installers follow this same policy on warranties. customer supplied parts = no warranty. installer supplied parts = warranty.
I stopped selling parts and handed that biz off the www.desertfab.com

Rawbrown said:
Got your country of MFG's off as well.
GG's I've seen come from one of the knees country's. Taiwan, china... you get it. Sierra, Yukon and the most common gears are made in India. Yes, better QC. I've been told that superior is made in Italy but not sure about the source.
and I don't think Alloy USA gears were being made in the USA either. Maybe now with PG on board. but that might be a ? for Mike.
having a couple hundred gearsets under my belt means that I've installed pretty much every brand.
I have a personal boycott against superior. nothing to do with there product, just the business ethics.
I chose Yukon because I found it to bethe best bang for the buck. but in hi power apps I chose other gearsets. SIerra is the same just a different label. in fact, lots of brands are made from the same mfg and just shipped in bulk then boxed up.
just my .02

I do huh?

Asian in my book = chinese or taiwan which is where 99% of crap material gears are made.

As for Sierra being the same brand as Yukon, that is incorrect a significant portion of the time. Sierra typically boxes chinese crap, Unless its a application that is not avail typically form the chinese source. then its a crap shot as to where the country of orgin will be in thier box.

Yes Yukon are mostly made in india and also italy, as are a huge portion of "quality" gear sets.

There are Very few US made gear sets that are found currently being produced. Even Dana Spicer moved to outa the US.

It is a huge crap shoot as to what your getting in the box these days. I will say that as long as you know that the vender has integrity then you can specify no "import crap" and that to most means no chinese, taiwan, etc. And they will set u up with a quality set.

As for cutting on a shop like unitrax, well thats like saying that you have never had a set get fubared that you set up? I hear things about Everyone's installs, including my own. But I will say that for Dana/spicer, AAM, & motive, you cant find a more knowledgable location for parts or a location with more catalogs and years in the business, with prices cheaper then 99% of the shops out there. But would I ever have them do a install, no. They are a little on the high end of the price when it comes to service.

ROBERTK said:
But I will say that for Dana/spicer, AAM, & motive, you cant find a more knowledgable location for parts or a location with more catalogs and years in the business, with prices cheaper then 99% of the shops out there. But would I ever have them do a install, no. They are a little on the high end of the price when it comes to service.

Just wanted to clarify...

Gear prices good, install prices high???????

I think thats how I read it.

JohnX said:
Just wanted to clarify...

Gear prices good, install prices high???????

I think thats how I read it.

On dana/spicer I can never find it cheaper anywhere else. Given I do buy about 7 gear sets a month as well as about 10 ujoint a month. But even before my account there they still were cheap.

I'll tell you what the real revenue generator is. I see most shops do it and I don't agree with it. The extra charge placed on the "extra" labor to install a detroit over a stock carrier with spider gears. I've seen shops charge as much as $100 extra on top of the shop rate of $500 labor to setup gears. How much extra work is it to install a detroit vs an open carrier? NON. manual lockers are a different story. and I've seen $200 on top of shop rate for installing an arb. seriously. just to drill and tap a hole? with some axles like Dana spicer axles. factory carrier shims are press under the bearing. with arb's the carrier bearings are moved outside of the bearings so it becomes really easy to change BL.
After having installed gears for the 4-5 years I've been doing it now, my eyes have been opened up to alot. I'll never get ride of my tools of that trade. I have to rebuild the rearend in my dodge. its a Dana 70. for what a shop would charge to rebuild it I can get a whole brand new SRW Dana 80 from the dealer delivered to my door. Yes I'm considering it since I want the load capacity of the 80 over my 70.
And to get back on the subject of what gearset would I put into my rear axle? My truck is only around 300hp... for now. and 700+ lbft of torque. Not sure. something other than import. In my jeep I expect yukon to hold up fine. but in heavy duty situations I need to be really sure. if I can find DS gears for my truck then thats what I'll go with.

ROBERTK said:
I do huh?

Asian in my book = chinese or taiwan which is where 99% of crap material gears are made.

As for Sierra being the same brand as Yukon, that is incorrect a significant portion of the time. Sierra typically boxes chinese crap, Unless its a application that is not avail typically form the chinese source. then its a crap shot as to where the country of orgin will be in thier box.

Yes Yukon are mostly made in india and also italy, as are a huge portion of "quality" gear sets.

There are Very few US made gear sets that are found currently being produced. Even Dana Spicer moved to outa the US.

It is a huge crap shoot as to what your getting in the box these days. I will say that as long as you know that the vender has integrity then you can specify no "import crap" and that to most means no chinese, taiwan, etc. And they will set u up with a quality set.

As for cutting on a shop like unitrax, well thats like saying that you have never had a set get fubared that you set up? I hear things about Everyone's installs, including my own. But I will say that for Dana/spicer, AAM, & motive, you cant find a more knowledgable location for parts or a location with more catalogs and years in the business, with prices cheaper then 99% of the shops out there. But would I ever have them do a install, no. They are a little on the high end of the price when it comes to service.
I seldom hear negative things about independent installers like you me, clean, and ru. Its the shops that seem to build the bad reps quicker than us. I know the reps of alot of shops. I've seen the work of alot of shops. There are shops I'd say stay away from and there are shops that I can direct people to. Price is only one of the considerations. sure they might have great prices on parts but install is through the roof. what good is that. cuz then your going to take those parts to another installer to save some coin. but since you didn't buy the parts from the installer, you run the risk of little or no warranty. So then what. Pay the high price of the shop that sold you the parts in the first place, or first decide on your installer and go with there recomendation. If they sell you the parts then great for both of you. if they have a prefered vendor for you to purchase the parts that they will warranty the awsome.

I have a pricing list of when I went shopping for the same gear seats and MIKs. When I get back, I'll look it up.

djblade311 said:
I have a pricing list of when I went shopping for the same gear seats and MIKs. When I get back, I'll look it up.
cool thanx

Back