• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rim backspacing suggestions

ty20404 said:
yeah, except anything less than 4" BS on an 8" wheel is going to cause a little excess stress on the hubs and all of the other shit in there...

for that big of a tire, i would say 4" or 3.75" BS

this makes sense, but at the same time, why wouldn't more than 4" (on a 8" wide rim) do the same? it's still moving the leverage point away from the center right? so stock rims are 5.25 on a 7" wide, so in essence, there is 1.75" if the rim were flipped? I'm not saying id run a rim with 1.75" bs. But i would like 3.5". but nobody seems to make them as cheap as the soft 8's with 4in bs.

btw: my freind runs 31 mtrs on soft's 8's 15x8 4" bs. no rub on anything.

ty20404 said:
yeah, except anything less than 4" BS on an 8" wheel is going to cause a little excess stress on the hubs and all of the other shit in there...

The added stress is very minor though; not really a big factor.

cal said:
That is definately incorrect(did you see the previous post)!Alot of the confusion is where people measure from.Wheels need to be measured based the tire beads, not the outside edges(which very greatly depending on steel vs alloy and other things).Spoke with a workmate today who has a Rubi,he still insists that they are 4.5-4.75" based on the info I just stated.My factory 16's measure out at 5".

RCP Phx said:
That is definately incorrect(did you see the previous post)!Alot of the confusion is where people measure from.Wheels need to be measured based the tire beads, not the outside edges(which very greatly depending on steel vs alloy and other things).Spoke with a workmate today who has a Rubi,he still insists that they are 4.5-4.75" based on the info I just stated.My factory 16's measure out at 5".

The paperwork I read at the dealership said 5.25". That page says 5", your friend says 4.5-4.75". I admit that having googled it just now, most sites *DO* say 5". I may have been wrong - but then, so was the dealer (not like it would be a first time..). ;)

-C

ty20404 said:

Not really an issue. On an 8" rim 4" backspacing would put the wheel mount surface right in the middle of the wheel. The stock backspacing is 5.25" which isn't close to the center on a stock 7" rim. The center on a 7" rim would be 3.5" backspacing, so the 5.25" stock backspacing is 1.75" off the center.

Really, excess wear on the hub/unit bearing is a non-issue with any backspacing. We all pretty much run 8" rims with backspacing anywhere from 3.25" to 4.75", which is .75" off of center or less. That's less than half the amount that a stock rim is off center. It's a non-issue.

Goatman said:
Not really an issue. On an 8" rim 4" backspacing would put the wheel mount surface right in the middle of the wheel.

Technicaly, an 8" rim with 4"bs would put the flange off-center by 3/16" :D

TunaSoda said:
Technicaly, an 8" rim with 4"bs would put the flange off-center by 3/16" :D
You must be using "fuzzy" math,last time I checked half of 8 was still 4!

RCP Phx said:
You must be using "fuzzy" math,last time I checked half of 8 was still 4!

Yeah, if your mounting flange is 0" thick...

BS is measured to the inside edge of the flange, not to the middle of it

I agree with Richard, and to what I think is a bigger point.
Aside from the obvious, like when extreme backspacing is causing physical limitations, like tires prematurely rubbing control arms.
We start losing our perspective when we 1" to much and the cause the hubs to wear out in 10K miles, and 1" to 1.5" variation in lift is the difference between a low center of gravity rockcrawler, and a gay mallcrawler.

The thickness of the wheel center has nothing to do with it,some alloys have a 1" web.A 8" wheel w/ 4" backspace is exactly centered!

RCP Phx said:
The thickness of the wheel center has nothing to do with it,some alloys have a 1" web.A 8" wheel w/ 4" backspace is exactly centered!

Say the flange is 3/16" thick and it is dead center in the 8" rim
It's mounting face to the bead edge would be 3.90625" not 4"

A rim with a 4" bs would put the flange .09375" off center

TunaSoda said:
Say the flange is 3/16" thick and it is dead center in the 8" rim
It's mounting face to the bead edge would be 3.90625" not 4"

A rim with a 4" bs would put the flange .09375" off center
Your math is good,but thats not how they measure backspace,its measured from the WMS!

dear god.... who cares. you're arguing over a frickin 3/16" i don't think thats going to make to much of a difference......

codyj86 said:
dear god.... who cares. you're arguing over a frickin 3/16" i don't think thats going to make to much of a difference......

Actualy, I'm arguing over 3/32" :D

Backspace is measured from flange face to bead edge, is it not?

36 12.50 R16 tsl radial mud terrain on 16x8 AR's with 4.5" bs.
38 12.50 R15 tsl/sx bias on 15x10 just for comparison.
My 36's in same tire on 15x8 3.5b.s. stuck out too far for legal status, w/ no flares.
6t2qo1y.jpg

The rear needs to be lowered, and I'm gonna lower it a little overall.
I like the look of the AR rims and the bs. I was tired of the black rims and my tires don't stick out illegally.

6y0jnlw.jpg

Raised spring perch with 1" block. - losing the blcok

Back