• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions on Rim size and backspacing

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ that is lifted 4.5 inches. It is my daily driver and hardly if ever goes offroad (for now). I am running the stock ecco rims with 31x10.5x31 tires. I want a little bit wider stance (for stability and looks). I was wondering what you guys would recommend for Backspacing and rim width. I really like the look of the Dick cepek rims. Should I run a 15x8 rim or 15x10? I know stock backspacing is 5.25, What back spacing should I look for in a rim that will be fine for a daily driver?
Thanks, Denton

what about for 16x8 rims?

ones i see only come in 5 inch backspacing, is this too much?

I would stay around 4 inches of BS. It will keep it from sticking out to much. I have 3.75 and they stick out a little past my TJ flares which are an inch wider than stock. Tires on a 15 inch rim are generally cheaper than the 16 inch variety

Thanks for the input everybody. It seems I will be leaning towards the 15x8 4 inch backspacing rims. Is the only benefit of having a 15x10 rim, is running a wider tire? Can you run a 10.5 tire on a 15x10 rim? Not that I am going to do it, just curious.

There are alot of people myself included that run12.5 tires on 8 inch rims. A ten in wide rim makes everything alot heavier and is really not neccesary until to get to really big tires

krelja said:
There are alot of people myself included that run12.5 tires on 8 inch rims. A ten in wide rim makes everything alot heavier and is really not neccesary until to get to really big tires
Excellent, thanks

Sorry to bring this thread back, but what is a good backspacing for 32" tires? My Jeep came with 16x8 wheels that look like Cragar 'streetlocks', but they don't have the Cragar center cap. Not sure what brand they are, plus I have no idea the backspacing so I can get a spare.

I currently have the 16x8 wheels and 265/75/16 BFG A/T tires that stick out to about edge of the stock fender, maybe a half inch more. Any idea what BS this could be? Thanks so much.

post pics or take off your wheel and measure...

Pics are on the computer at home, I'll try to get some up later. Do Cragar wheels have any sort of identification on them? I think mine are now, but I'm not sure. I'm also thinking they are 5" backspacing, because my wheels don't come in many sizes and they sit much farther in than many I've seen. Our lug pattern is 5 x 4.5, correct?

4" backspacing sticks out an inch further than 5" backspacing. Don't get this confused. 3.75" backspacing sticks out a quarter inch further than 4" backspacing.

15x8 (or really any 8" wide wheel) with 4" backspacing is swell, as it puts the hub in the center of the wheel.

Or I suppose 5" backspacing with a 10" wheel. But then you are probably going to rub something like a control arm or the inner fender wall.

Go with a set of Cragers. You can get 15x8 Soft 8's in the black finish for $38.00 each.

Like I said, I think they are 5" backspacing since the cragar streetlocks in 16x8 with a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern only come in that size. I'm not positive these are Cragars, but not many companies make these wheels. Should I sell and get a different backspacing or just go with a 1" spacer?

Rear tire

IMG_3320.jpg

Front tire

IMG_3321.jpg

these are 31x10.5's on 15x7 3.75 bs. i would prefer them to be on 15x8's, but i got the set for 200 bucks, so no complaining from me.

mud2.jpg

tireandheadlight.jpg

Back