• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace your XJ?

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
Since the XJ is no longer being built and no matter how much we fix our XJ's they are eventually going to wear out, what kind of vehicle would y'all consider as a replacement? I'm more interested in the type of vehicle that is used as a daily driver and weekend warrior.

Thats a really good question, there really isnt much left with solid axles. I really dont like IFS.

Only thing that comes to mind is a Wrangler... But I dunno...

Wrangler unlimited
049.gif

Jeep just unveiled the '07 Wrangler-- the specs are BADASS! Well, at least for the Rubicon version, anyway:

Front and rear solid axles
Lockers
4:1 t-case
Dashboard actuated SB disconnects (wow!)
Factory 32" tires
Removable top
Removable doors

Oh yeah... 4-doors in the '08 or '09 model year!

-Andy

Last edited:
I'd take a Jeep Rescue... :-D

I like my unlimited rubicon. It takes a beating pretty good. It dents easy though! Its basically stock, and I go just about everywhere I want.

Land Cruiser.

Grand Vitari.

:laugh:

:D

Rescue
I saw one at a car show a couple of weeks ago. very nice, but price point will be too high for the average joe.

Gladiator would be a more reasonable first choice, if they ever decide to produce it.

With the way that I use my XJ, I would probably replace it with a four door Tacoma or Frontier type truck with a camper shell. I would even entertain a GMC Canyon but my anti-GM bias is hard to get over.

If Jeep was less gay and actually offered a diesel Gladiator that would be my first choice in an XJ replacement. But alas, I suspect that the Gaytriot is going to be the next big thing from Jeep after the 07 Wrangler.

I didn't sell the '81 CJ-7 until 2004, so theoretically I won't have to sell the '99 XJ until 2022. I think I'll have to reserve judgement. Surely someone will manufacture something worth owning by then.

You mean I have to put Jeep parts back into my Cherokee!?
I just plan on patching mine back together with what ever is lying around untill it looks like something Dr. Moreau made!

Pre 84 CJ5, 6 or 7. 4 cyl maybe straight 6, upgrade the tranny/transfer combo and probably the axles too. Extra heater in the back for the winter, removable for the summer. Soft top only.

Wrangler, no question about it. Nothing else has solid front axle except 1 ton trucks but that is a different category all together and I woundn't consider it a replacement for the XJ. I like the 93-98 Grand Cherokees but that is older than my XJ so...

seanR said:
I just plan on patching mine back together with what ever is lying around untill it looks like something Dr. Moreau made!

I believe Dr. Moreau put animal parts into his creations, so you'd be limited to parts from AMC Eagles, Mercury Cougars, Dodge Rams, Jaguars....and if we stretch the rule; Ford Taurusi and Lamborghini Panteras.

I'm positive I missed a few, and certain I'll be corrected.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Wrangler, no question about it. Nothing else has solid front axle except 1 ton trucks but that is a different category all together and I woundn't consider it a replacement for the XJ. I like the 93-98 Grand Cherokees but that is older than my XJ so...

How about a WJ? If you get one for the right price thrashing on it won't hurt so bad.

Back