• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix won't rev

Check the cat?

Sounds just like my YJ when the cat failed.

Idled fine, would not rev past 2500 rpm.

That should have been an obvious possibility, not sure why none of us suggested it earlier. yes a clogged Cat is one of the first things to look for on a rev limit problem. But also shows up as a lack of power.

The new CPS probably needs be mounted about 1/32" closer to the flexplate or flywheel to get the cranking voltage up higher, or the starter has a ground issue and is not cranking fast enough? The CPS output voltage rises quickly with higher RPMs.

Is the stroker hard to start???? Cranking too slow?

CRUISER’S VACUUM TEST FOR EXHAUST RESTRICTION
Your vacuum gauge should come with an instruction booklet outlining the procedure. Hook the vacuum gauge up to a source on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Usually 17 to 21 inches of vacuum. Throttle the engine up to 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 20 seconds or so and the vacuum reading should stabilize to the same reading you got at idle. Let the throttle snap shut. The vacuum reading should shoot up about 5 inches of vacuum higher for a second and then come quickly down to the original reading. If the vacuum reading stays high and comes down slowly with jerky needle movements, you have an exhaust restriction.

I have a stroker on the stand ready to go in. Hopefully soon. I'd be curious about the injectors also.

Thinking too large, too small, on the flow rate?

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole to 3/8" from the stock 5/16", or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 01-26-2013

the cat's brand new but i do have an exhaust restriction. running 2.25" down pipe to 2.5" cat and muffler to 2.25" tailpipe. soon as i get more money i'll get the tailpipe replaced and until i can afford a new header there's no point in changing the downpipe

stroker stats
kb944 pistons .020 over running 9.32 comp
lunati 63501 cam
4.6 ford spring
currently 19# 39 psi injectors cranked up to 50 psi. the 24# injectors i had were too big and couldn't get my wideband to read right. would run 10 to 12 from 35psi to 40 psi and under 35 psi it'd run 16 to ---. wideband runs 13.5 to 14.5 with the 19# injectors set at 50 psi. it's not perfect but at the moment it's all i have

i made the mounting holes in the old cps 3/8" and it's working just fine. runs .5 volts or higher when cranking. the starter is dragging a bit but only takes about 3 seconds to start the motor

i ordered the last harness i needed for my megasquirt 3 so if all else fails that should be here next week and i'll be switching over to that engine management soon. i really wanted to try and get this running right before i switched to the ms3 but if it ain't in the cards then it ain't in the cards.

Renix uses a rare style O2 sensor, that is different from the one used in HO jeeps and most newer vehicles. Did you find a wideband that is compatible with the 0-5 volt ECU output, that feeds a variable resistor style special O2 sensor?

Most O2 sensors generate their own 0-1 volt output voltage. Renix O2 sensor does not generate voltage, it is a variable resistor.

I had about the same thing happen many times for different reasons. First time it was a partially bad ballast resistor. Second time it was my O2 sensor wires cooking on the exhaust manifold in the front. They were almost impossible to see, I had to unplug the harness (O2, knock sensor, engine temp. sensor) unbolt the hold down and pull the harness up to see the bad spot. I removed the power steering pump and rerouted the harness. The third time my O2 sensor partially failed, old age likely.

Also another time my CPS was going south and my top end suffered as the CPS heated up. It worked fine cold.

Cutting out at 2000+ RPM sounds like a fuel problem, either the fuel system itself or engine management, O2 or TPS, MAP etc.

Weak spark will also do this, the higher the RPM's the worse the miss gets, it acts like a limiter. Usually a supply voltage issue, a coil to ignition module connector issue or even leaky (or really high resistance) spark plug or coil cables. Weak spark usually makes for a noticeable idle miss and gets worse at higher RPM's.

I had this happen another time, I had a bad crispy connector between the ballast resistor and the fuel pump. The pressure was OK at idle but as the connector heated up and the fuel demand grew I'd run out of fuel. This one really drove me nuts, all the voltage checks were fine, fuel pressure and volumn were fine at idle. It only caused grief at higher RPM's. I finally figured it out after driving around with a fuel pressure Gage taped to my windshield wiper and watching the pressure on the interstate. There are like five connectors between the fuel pump relay and the fue pump on the Renix, the fuel pump wire even changes colors once, then back again. I jumped them all, solder and shrink tubing. Now my fuel pump harness is one compete run with fewer connectors.

Just some ideas, if it were easy it would already be fixed, ;)

A quick test, check the volts at the larger yellow wire at the ignition module (to battery ground), usually a little line loss, like a volt or two. Volt test the coil at the test point, should be exactly the same voltage as the large yellow wire, if not remove the coil and check the connectors, they heat up and get soft, then make poor connection.

Check your voltage at the ballast resistor with the motor running, one end will be within a volt or two (around 12-12.5) of battery voltage (13.7-14) there is some line loss (normal voltage loss), the other end of the ballast resistor a few volts less (after passing through the resistor). Then check the voltage again at the pump. It should be the same as the ballast resistor lower voltage. Or just jump the ballast resistor wires and forget the ballast resistor. Swap out the fuel pump relay and look in the relay socket (with a flashlight) for obvious signs of over heating, like blue/black spade connectors. The spade connectors get hot, discolor then relax (the spring is gone) and make poor contact.

Every time a hot wire or a ground goes through a connector, a contact or a relay it losses a little. The worse the connection the more the loss, it adds up. It can eventually make a big difference. Especially in the sensor circuits, were the voltage is sometime a decimal point of one volt and most always less than 5 volts (sometimes 7 volts depending on year).

Last edited:
Having dealt with this issue on multiple motors. I would still bet a six pack that the distributor isn't indexed correctly. Try one tooth each way and it should fix the problem.

On the compression stroke with the crank at about 13 BTDC, the rotor should be pointing at the plug. Not when the crank is at 0 BTDC.

Just as a background on the reason.....As the motor speeds up, the electronics causes the spark to happen sooner. Its commonly called advancing the spark. If the rotor isn't indexed correctly, as the spark happens earlier, you can end up with a situation where the rotor is no longer close enough to the terminal in the cap to have the spark get over to the plug. It becomes self limiting, when you hit a certain rpm, normally around 3k, it will start missing. When it misses, the engine slows down, and the problem goes away.

Last edited:
Having dealt with this issue on multiple motors. I would still bet a six pack that the distributor isn't indexed correctly. Try one tooth each way and it should fix the problem.

On the compression stroke with the crank at about 13 BTDC, the rotor should be pointing at the plug. Not when the crank is at 0 BTDC.

Just as a background on the reason.....As the motor speeds up, the electronics causes the spark to happen sooner. Its commonly called advancing the spark. If the rotor isn't indexed correctly, as the spark happens earlier, you can end up with a situation where the rotor is no longer close enough to the terminal in the cap to have the spark get over to the plug. It becomes self limiting, when you hit a certain rpm, normally around 3k, it will start missing. When it misses, the engine slows down, and the problem goes away.

Real possibility.

Go to this link and view posts 12 and 13. Photos are included.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Two quick questions, does it buck or pop when you hit the wall with the RPM's? And what happens when you reach around behind the TPS and move the wiper arm ( for lack of a better word) with a screwdriver tip?

Three (four) things come to mind. You are running out of fuel, running out of advance or the CPS signal is breaking down. And maybe the spark is breaking down, but that usually affects idle also somewhat.

Running out of fuel can either be fuel delivery or fuel management.

Running out of advance can be the TPS or initial setup.

CPS usually shows up as marginal resistance readings, problems can happen way before you hit the boundaries of the allowable error reading.

And any of it may be the wiring and not the sensor or power supply to the various sub systems. I learned a long time ago to spray out any connector I've messed with, with a quality contact electrical cleaning spray nefore plugging it back up again. A film of oil on a contact in a connector for a sub system (sensor signal) with .4 volts is bound to cause some issues.

hey while i have both of y'alls attention. i have a 3 wire plug with only 2 wires in it coming out of the injector harness. what's it for? every sensor i can think of is accounted for. map, crank,cam,tps,iat,o2,knock,engine temp, iac all connected

Does it look just like your CPS connector?

oh and i'm starting to think ecomike is right about it being the tps but i don't know how to fix it. it's set right according to cruisers page but now it idles at 300-400 and tries to die everytime i take my foot off the peddle

yes it does. i plugged the cps into it by mistake and the jeep wouldn't run

cruiser my distributor lines up exactly like the 1 in the pic on your link....exactly

It probably had the dealer CPS bypass done. That connector was supposed to be clipped off and the end zip-tied out of the way afterward.

Check the gas foot peddle and cable. I found my floor mat sticking under the gas peddle at times and holding the gas peddle from closing all the way. Check the idle TPS voltage, then recheck after moving the floor mat, LOL, or what ever might be binding it up.

Or the IAC maybe sticking!!!!!

Check the gas foot peddle and cable. I found my floor mat sticking under the gas peddle at times and holding the gas peddle from closing all the way. Check the idle TPS voltage, then recheck after moving the floor mat, LOL, or what ever might be binding it up.

Or the IAC maybe sticking!!!!!

I was thinking the TPS can be good and adjusted properly but the signal isn't making it to the ECU or there is a resistance in the wire causing faulty values going to the ECU.

If you move the arm behind the TPS with a screwdriver tip without moving the throttle, your idle changes if it is working right and the signal is reaching the ECU.

I had TPS issues and couldn't figure them out, turned out I'd always back pin the ECU side of the connector and the problem was in the TPS connector, it was covered in WD-40. I back pinned the TPS side and got different values. One of those simple things that can drive you nuts.

Last edited:
Back