• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing D44 Carrier

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
OK, I was trying to install my lockright last night and tonight, but I am stuck, because I cannot get the carrier out.

First of all, YES, I have removed both axle shafts, 4 bearing cap bolts, and 2 caps.

I have about 7 hours of trying to get this damn carrier out now. Tried the rag trick, and the wrench trick....no go. Plenty of prying with a few pry bars.....now I got a few bent pry bars....and still no carrier out.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I tried all the same things you did with the same results.
What did work was a strap and a hydro bottle jack.Build a bridge with some 4x4s or 2x2 steel tube.Wrap a heavy tie-down strap under the carrier and over the jack,jack away,may have to reset the strap several times,but it will work.
Wayne
ps,my 44 was out of the XJ

Same method except used a hi-lift and set it on the housing, the hook extended out over the carrier.
Also axle not on xj.

Oh man... do I feel your pain!!! I did this on Sunday and it wasn't pretty. I ate couple rags and was ready to blow the whole thing up but finally after over an hour of messing with it it came out.
In the beginning I wasn't using big enough "sock" (hey I'm no bigfoot :D) and then the sock worked enough to move it out a bit and I was able to wrestle the rest out.

Back