• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Bar Pin Eliminators

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Got some new rear shocks. Went to transfer bar pin eliminators to new shocks. No go. The BPEs (http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_bpe_pn9607.pdf) have 1/8" roll pins that are driven into them during assembly (I don't even remember doing it, but they are there). Has anyone had success removing them and how did you do it? I said fark it and installed the bar pins. I never really noticed a difference in the rear anyway and I'm impatient as hell. But now I just wanna see if anyone else has encountered this.

First, you need to use a large c-clamp to compress the bar pin to relieve the pressure from the compressed rubber bushing. This is where you are having problems, I assure you, as I learned that with the first attempt.

I used a drill blank about the same size and lightly hammered the roll pin out. Actually, the first one was the problem for me since I didn't hammer lightly, or use the c-clamp, and broke the drill blank and screwed the roll pin up. Just try tapping it out with anything hard enough and about the same diameter of the roll pin like a center punch, so that there's enough pin showing to vise grip it and twist out (a little light oil may also help if rusted). When you reassemble, simply use a nail of similar diameter as the roll pin in place of the roll pin, and bend the pointy end over. Just think of the nail like a split pin, only I feel a split pin is not strong enough for this application.

Now next time you simply compress the bar pin, cut the nail near the block it's in, and pull it out by the head and replace with a new nail after.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
A cotter pin would probably work the same as the nail...right?

Cotter pin is what I meant , but I called it a split pin. I couldn't think of the "cotter" for some reason. The cotter IMHO is not strong enough and may partialy shear somehow and make it just a little more difficult to remove than the stronger, solid nail. I have many cotter pins, and gave them some thought, when I changed the shocks out, but just thought that the nail was much stronger.

Gotcha, thanks - I'm gonna be doing this in a couple of weeks when i get back :thumbup:

Thanks guys, good ideas. I felt like a tool posting that. I'll give it a try.

I'm sure the cotter pin "may" be OK, but to me, that rubber or espesialy poly bushing has a lot of force against that pin that I can bend rather easily compared to a solid nail. Yes, I agree to "to each his own", but most cotter pins I have seen only holds in place another "weight bearing" device, ie. castle washer or castle nut, never in a direct force resisting position such as the place where the very strong roll pin originated. I would see it acceptable if you were to find a much higher quality and stronger cotter pin than the usual ones found at most auto parts store. Please let me know if there are special stronger cotters as I do prefer using a cotter type pin instead of a nail, but then again, that would mean for me to go out and purchase those instead of just using nails I have plenty of. No argument intended here by my long winded, defensive explanations I'm sure will sound stupid to me later since I am always content on watching others learn by experience and remember me after. After all, that was how I learned while someone else did the laughing. good luck, I only hope all this helps some one in the future who can read the whole thread continualy at once and find the resulting logic in our posted conversations here. See?, I went and done it like I said, $#%*!! sorry for being long winded.

Last edited:
the cotter pin was my choice out of the two options that he gave, personally I still use the bar pins. If I decide not to use those I will drill and tap it and go for a bolt instead...

I was thinking about it - why not just get another roll pin? I'd think they would be pretty common at a hardware store, and you can probably get them in any length....

LOL, see, now that, right there, is funny. No matter who you are, that was funny.

But, in my case, I messed up the hole pretty bad and had to ultimately force the nail in the first time, since I was too lazy to drill out the hole at that time, or the second time for that matter. Just like I was to lazy to go find another roll pin the same size to give me more trouble the next time, again, at the two or three shops nearby in town, and come back home empty handed because they were all out of that size, except for the shop five miles down had it, but I sure as hell didn't want to go way over there, leaving me with less time, and less gas in the tank as it was, and less patience. So instead as I was still sitting on the floor by the Jeep talking myself out of going out for some new roll pins, I asked my wife as she came out to the garage, if she could hand me a couple of those nails right there in that box I have by the radio, oh ya, and that hammer I threw on the grass when I shattered the drill blank tip and found bits of it's metal stuck in my now bleeding finger I stupidly whacked at the same time.

Ya, I know I'm mental, but I mean well most of the time. And shite happens to me like that often enough, as I'm sure it has happened to others at least once before, only I wish I had more luck like most in the shite happens catagory. Well I'm done on this post for now, so peeps can blaze me some more for my simple barbaric, lazy ideas. Like I said before, I'm sure it did help some one else out there who appreciates simplicity and rational justified laziness. Blaze away!!!, this is fun!

See, you left that all out of your original story - now it all comes full circle and makes sense! LOL

Back