• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt steering gear choices

cherokeefan_1

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of a new steering gear and would like some opinions on what peoples experiences have been. I would like to avoid a parts store rebuild as it seems its luck of the draw on getting a good one. The aftermarket choices seem to be PSC, AGR, or Lee. Is one better/more reliable than the other. Is there customer service any good if I need to use the warranty?My stock ones got a lot of slop in it and its not the intermediate shaft or tie rod ends or track bar. Suggestions would be great. Is there another reliable supplier of rebuilt or new steering gears? Thanks in advance

I bookmarked these guys a while back but haven't purchased anything from them. I referred my neighbor to them for a Bronco gear and he had nothing but good things to say.
http://www.larescorp.com/

People generally use a durango box or a YJ box, I happen to have a ZJ box in mine that I got for free. It's slightly better(ratio) than my XJ was.

Just installed a 3/4 ton J20 Box! $90 bucks from rockauto cardone reman. Much bigger then the stock box, bolts right in. Same splines. BUT its a flared fitting. The low pressure line I just bought a new line, but I cut the end off the stock line and double flared it.... like a brake line. A usa made flair tool from sears is like $60, but its a great tool to have anyways.

IMG_0566.jpg

How the steering feel on that j20 box? Is it like the old chevy boxes that you could turn 40" tires with not much effort? Does it seem like a good rebuilt unit, as in no slop between the input shaft and output shaft?

I have used all three, PSC, Lee, and AGR (can't believe folks recommend a junkyard box to a quality performance rebuilt box question). AGR had quality problems, but that was a long time ago. PSC and Lee are both known for quality, and good customer service. Most of my stuff has been Lee, I really like their work, but PSC is less expensive. The work they do to a steering gear is the same. PSC is very supportive of the off road sector and deserves the business, and Tommy Lee is an old time small shop who has done business the right way for many years. Take your pick.

Thanks for the info Goatman. I can get a good deal on an agr from a guy I met who no longer needs it now so I might grab that up. I too have heard good things about Lee but they didnt actually use the box they knew of people who did.

How the steering feel on that j20 box? Is it like the old chevy boxes that you could turn 40" tires with not much effort? Does it seem like a good rebuilt unit, as in no slop between the input shaft and output shaft?

It really feels exactly the same. Maybe a little tighter. The box is top notch, would guess new if it weren't for the reman stamp.

I blew the old box out last winter when I cracked my unibody. Upgraded to the J20 box since they are cheaper then the stock replacement! Same bolt pattern as a YJ box, so you could add a 4th bolt if you really wanted too.

I dont really get the point of the AGR or PSC boxes. Is the ratio much different? All saginaw boxes seem the same to me!

I dont really get the point of the AGR or PSC boxes. Is the ratio much different? All saginaw boxes seem the same to me!

Not really, I have a quick-ratio box from a camaro in the XJ... helps with quick maneuvers in the city and quicker counter steering in snow drifts :D

20110221-8qye91tf4g5rwgy2iph3yadmts.jpg

Same reason you blue print and balance a performance engine, and use stronger aftermarket parts in a performance engine build. It's better than a stock motor, and a performance rebuilt steering gear is better than a stock steering gear. The internals are checked much more closely for tolerances, they are modified for better fluid flow and hence better power, the bushing in the sector shaft is replaced with a bearing, etc, etc. The result is a stronger, more durable steering gear. You really do get what you pay for.

Saginaw steering gears come in two sizes, small bore and large bore, with the small bore gear having a faster ratio (14ish to 1) than the big bore (16ish to 1). There are a few variables in ratios over the years, but otherwise not much difference. People talk about J20 gears or Durango or YJ gears, but the only thing that really matters is if it's a small bore or big bore steering gear. When you look at PSC, for example, they will show the small bore gear for street/trail use, and the big bore gear for extreme use.

If you don't plan to get hydro assist, the big bore gear can work pretty well if tire size is reasonable. If you plan to use assist then there's little point in using the big bore box since the ram has plenty of power and the small bore gear has a quicker ratio. In my XJ based rock buggy, I use a small bore gear with a quicker 12 to 1 ratio because it's better for going fast in the desert or in the rocks.

People talk about J20 gears or Durango or YJ gears, but the only thing that really matters is if it's a small bore or big bore steering gear.
Eh bore size maybe "the only thing that really matters" to you but there are other variables that matter to other people such as fixed or progressive rates, throw distance, number of bolts, etc. Also larger bore sizes require more fluid pressure for the same head pressure, IE bigger pump, which can be a contributing factor.

Eh bore size maybe "the only thing that really matters" to you but there are other variables that matter to other people such as fixed or progressive rates, throw distance, number of bolts, etc. Also larger bore sizes require more fluid pressure for the same head pressure, IE bigger pump, which can be a contributing factor.

??

A small bore gear is usually progressive, a big bore box is not. There are small and big bore gears that are both 3 bolt and 4 bolt. I rarely see comments when talking about the gears out of various other vehicles referring to the bore size, or if they're variable, or whatever. People are recommending them for XJ's. I merely meant that the specs of a box are the important thing, not what it's originally coming out of.

Would a unit for a 69 camaro be a bolt in if I change the lines to flare fitting. I can get a new agr unit for a 69 camaro for a decent deal. They look basically the same to me.

Would a unit for a 69 camaro be a bolt in if I change the lines to flare fitting. I can get a new agr unit for a 69 camaro for a decent deal. They look basically the same to me.

Yes, but it's a quicker 12 to 1 ratio, so it won't have the extra power for the trail and bigger tires. Good for a road car, but probably not for an off road rig. I have the 12 to 1 box on my buggy but I also have a good performance pump and a larger 1.75" assist ram.

A whole bunch of us have found out (the hard way) that the only way to get excellent steering is to pay for the good parts.

There are camaro boxes in 14:1 and 12:1, the latter being part of the special handling packages.

If you decide to go with the quick ratio box, or any camaro box for that matter, choose one for a 3rd gen, as this will be a bolt in swap, and use the same m14 fittings.

Back