• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reasonable replacements for an 8.25 axle?

Here is my install.

2mm7lgi.jpg

What makes you think the 8.8 isn't stronger than then 8.25.
And as far as weak tubes? I've got 3 people in my wheeling group that run them. We welded the tubes to the center section and have been beating on them for 6 years (we all did the swaps within months of eachother)
I broke mine for the first time last summer. Been running 38s the whole time and hit a rocky ledge hill full throttle and bounced. Only problem we've ever had out of them

And as far as weak tubes? I've got 3 people in my wheeling group that run them. We welded the tubes to the center section and have been beating on them for 6 years (we all did the swaps within months of eachother)
I broke mine for the first time last summer. Been running 38s the whole time and hit a rocky ledge hill full throttle and bounced. Only problem we've ever had out of them

I never said they weren't stronger. I said the difference in strength over a 29-spline 8.25 is negligible for the money required to switch. (Of course all the people that picked one up from their cousin-in-law for $20 and are already geared 4.10 will happily tell me otherwise)

Thanks all for the input, good stuff.

All you guys on the 8.25 bandwagen must have them real plentiful in your area. Ive found one and it was an open diff. plus the douche wanted what I could by 3 8.8s for 175 and it needed from the backing plates out all the brake crap was stripped. An 8.8 was the best alternative plus I am familiar with them.

I think its been beat to death the strength issue. I lucked out and got a unit with .250 wall axle tubes, as far as breaking them anything can be broken. I killed my D35 with one trip to the rocks and I was taking it easy.

I am doing an 8.8" in mine, but it was free. So yea not exactly going to compare prices.

They are still my vote for strength and simplicity even if you can't find a disk brake one the drums are still bigger than what comes on an XJ.

Back