• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar

spkshasha

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to remove the rear sway bar without jacking up the jeep? If I must jack it up, is there anything wrong with just putting jackstands under the axle? I have heard conflicting opinions about both of these topics. Thanks -Shawn

If you prefer to work on the ground then go ahead, but the only thing that you might want to use caution with is unbolting it, mabey, it could have a load on it but if it does just be ready, not that its alot of pressure.

spkshasha said:
Is it possible to remove the rear sway bar without jacking up the jeep? If I must jack it up, is there anything wrong with just putting jackstands under the axle? I have heard conflicting opinions about both of these topics. Thanks -Shawn

It is possible to remove the sway bar without jacking it up. You'll probably find it a lot easier to jack it up and remove the wheels. Once you have the bar off, it might be difficult manuevering it out from underneath if the wheels are in place. There is nothing wrong with putting the jackstands under the axle, but for this task I would put the jackstands on the framerail and let the axle droop.

footdale said:
It is possible to remove the sway bar without jacking it up. You'll probably find it a lot easier to jack it up and remove the wheels. Once you have the bar off, it might be difficult manuevering it out from underneath if the wheels are in place. There is nothing wrong with putting the jackstands under the axle, but for this task I would put the jackstands on the framerail and let the axle droop.

Won't doing this make the sway bar links bind, making them more difficult to remove?

just fricken un bolt the thing, it will spring into whatever, then pull the SOB off...

i do like the cutting it to pieces idea...

Dan Turner said:
Won't doing this make the sway bar links bind, making them more difficult to remove?

I don't think I'm understanding your question. As long as the axle is level (one side is not flexed more than the other), there is no stress in the sway bar or links. Having the axle at full droop just gives you a lot more room to work with.

i did mine in the woods the first time i went out. it was hiting the tires, so i stoped got under it (easy with 8" lift) took it off and left it in the woods. haven't cared about it sence

diabloxj said:
i did mine in the woods the first time i went out. it was hiting the tires, so i stoped got under it (easy with 8" lift) took it off and left it in the woods. haven't cared about it sence

Next time why don't you bring your parts home with you? There's aren't enough trails in the East to be giving anyone more reasons to close down what little we have left.

Back