• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal?

You would need to have one hell of a leak if the oil dripping on your exhaust is causing noticeable smoke. I personally have never seen/heard of a leaky valve cover or rear main that would create such an occurrence.

Furthermore, you stated the smoke only appeared during periods of coasting or deceleration. You have received an answer as to why this happens.

We can only help those who are willing to be helped. Listen to the information provided, or search elsewhere. Arguing won't help, especially if your name is 'jasonsxj' - you are not helping.

Best of luck.

yes but the smoke is NOT coming out of the tailpipe, when coasting..

You would need to have one hell of a leak if the oil dripping on your exhaust is causing noticeable smoke. I personally have never seen/heard of a leaky valve cover or rear main that would create such an occurrence.

Furthermore, you stated the smoke only appeared during periods of coasting or deceleration. You have received an answer as to why this happens.

We can only help those who are willing to be helped. Listen to the information provided, or search elsewhere. Arguing won't help, especially if your name is 'jasonsxj' - you are not helping.

Best of luck.
sorry just some people need more help !!!!!!!! :rtm::rtm::rtm::rtm:

mine did the same thing and ended up being the tranny over heating and dumping fluid on the exhaust... fix trans cooler and gears (34''s and 3.55 to B&M cooler and 34"s and 4.56) but if it is for sure oil the get that rear main fixed...

http://jeepin.net/features/rearmain

Don't automatically assume its the rear main. Feel the back of the block for oil. If its wet then you you probably have a valve cover leak which is easier to deal with. Check the oil filter adapter as its another common culprit for leaks. If its an auto, check the tranny cooler lines as they can wear through and start to drip. Does the exahsut have dark spots where the oil is dripping and smoking?

:bs:

I'll have to get a picture of the bottom of the MJ. There is a permanent black spot on the exhaust.

Back