• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok so ive been putting this off for 20 years

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
i have a '94 XJ limited with 4.0l and the dreaded rear main seal leak.

i had a look at fixing it about 20 years ago and chickened out, but now its at a point it can't be ignored, unfortunately im also 20 years older.

my question is, as the vehicle now has high miles and the crank is probably well scored, is there an oversize seal or seal that uses a slightly different running surface.

as the car now has lift and 31 inch tyres its not as hard a job as it once was

any suggestions for a seal greatly appreciated

thanks

Should of done it earlier, it's really not that bad of job, especially before it gets too greasy. I doubt there is any other seal other than stock, but I imagine the mating surface is fine especially with all the oil coming out of it keeping it clean.

If your crank is scored, then maybe replace it. I had a crank go bad. Actually, the harmonic balancer went bad. Then the thrust bearing on the crank got torn up. I pulled the motor.
I'd pull the pan and look to see the condition of the crank from one or two caps. Also, see what the bearing look like. Then go from there.

If you do replace the seal, get a 1 piece molded oil pan gasket. Don't forget to put the right sealer on the end tabs on the bottom half of the seal.

Or just make a gasket with right stuff silicone. Done correctly it will never leak again. I've heard good things about the one piece gasket too.

drain oil and pull the pan the evening before you start the job. spray a solvent all over the crank and caps and let it drip for a few hours. not a hard job just a very dirty one.

your lift should let you work the pan out without jack the rig up. I used a one piece gasket.

have fun!

oh yea, I changed oil pumps while I had it apart. had to clearance the body of the pump so the pump and crank played nice together

Back