• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Lift Blocks

pictures or its stock! haha

i just like pictures!

I'll get plenty of pictures. I just gotta fix my camera, hang on. This weekend.:kissyou:

8" (or 10" or 12") is a lot of lift on an XJ. A lot. Way more than you will need for offroad duty. What size tires are you running?

Most people around here lift as little as they can to keep the center of gravity low, and choose instead to trim their fenders to clear the tires. Higher lifts add all kinds of issues, like driveline vibrations, steering problems, and the need for long arms up front.

I think we need to start with specs on what your Jeep already has, and go from there.

Previous Owner: 8" front Skyjacker w/ 4" spacers.
4-6" steel blocks in the rear. (Not sure what size, but I dont like them.)
16" rims wrapped w/ 33" Maxxis BigHorn
Im not sure if it has a dana 30 or dana 44. most likely dana 30.

What else you need to know? I has a long arm kit in the front, not sure what brand. I'm at school right now, i'll check when I get home.

I asked a question because I didn't Know. If I knew, I wouldn't of asked.:gag:

Okay, sorry, I'll try to help.

You can't properly lift an XJ that high.

No one makes springs anywhere near that. If you were to frankenstein junkyard parts together (extra leaves, maybe double coils?) it would be so stiff in the rear and unstable up front, that it would be completely undriveable. Even if you spent more that the rig was worth on custom made springs, the factory drivetrain, steering, and front links would be so out of sorts as to be irrelavant to your build.

To get an XJ to work right at 12" lift, you'd have to rebuild and redesign so much that I (for one) would no longer consider it an XJ at all.

You can run your 33's on 3", if you trim enough. 4.5" would be about perfect, and 6 is more than enough.

12" wouldn't be just unneccesary, but unreasonable, unusable, and really unsafe.

I guess that should be more help...

:cheers:

Robert

Get a quality 5.5"-6.5" kit. Rubicon Express, Clayton's, Full Traction, search the forums, tons of threads on them. Long-arm kits are generally more user-friendly at those heights. I assume you already have a SYE. Post up some pics when you get the chance.

I'm at 5.5" with my 33's and it's more than enough. I trimmed the fenders as well and can't get anywhere near hitting the body with my tires under flex. 5.5" is plenty, 4.5" would be nice. I plan on eventually doing 35s though, maybe 37s (if I get a front axle that'll support them...)

Okay, sorry, I'll try to help.

You can't properly lift an XJ that high.

No one makes springs anywhere near that. If you were to frankenstein junkyard parts together (extra leaves, maybe double coils?) it would be so stiff in the rear and unstable up front, that it would be completely undriveable. Even if you spent more that the rig was worth on custom made springs, the factory drivetrain, steering, and front links would be so out of sorts as to be irrelavant to your build.

To get an XJ to work right at 12" lift, you'd have to rebuild and redesign so much that I (for one) would no longer consider it an XJ at all.

You can run your 33's on 3", if you trim enough. 4.5" would be about perfect, and 6 is more than enough.

12" wouldn't be just unneccesary, but unreasonable, unusable, and really unsafe.

I guess that should be more help...

:cheers:

Robert
Thanks. Helps alot. I don't know what the previous owner was thinking :dunce: about when he lifted the XJ. :doh: lol. I think iim going to go with a 5.5"-6" lift. I'll post a thread on the make-over. lol :party:

Thanks. Helps alot. I don't know what the previous owner was thinking :dunce: about when he lifted the XJ. :doh: lol. I think iim going to go with a 5.5"-6" lift. I'll post a thread on the make-over. lol :party:

Go with the 5.5 or 6. I went with the 4.5 and have 33s... in the works to increasing it to 5.5 now... however... if you are going to just mud it... 4.5 w/trimming would be enough... if you are hitting the rocks... go 5.5 or 6.

:smoker: All about the rocks lol :spin1:

12" of lift, on the rocks :scared:. I defiantly want to see some pictures of what it looks like, with emphasis on the blocks and drive shaft angles :gee:

???

Be reasonable people. Get real. The most I have ever seen is 10"s of Lift on an XJ and the thing was undrivable. 33s and a 4.5" to 5.5" Lift with cutting out the fenders is where it is at. Keep that center of gravity as low as possible. That is all that is needed for most Trails. IMHO

This thing double posted. Sorry.

Back