• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear front spring hanger

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this should be in here ot OEM tech, but I figured more in here would have made this repair.

Did a search, and nothing really adresses the issue I have. Plenty on general rust repair and floor replacement, but I only saw 1 that covered the spring hanger, and it only mentioned it.

The front hanger on the passengers side rear leaf spring has a rust hole and some cracking where it meets the floor pan and part the way up the wheel well. The floor pan is rusted thru at the outside edge of the hanger, and there is a crack in the pan above it. For now, it is solid, but I need to fix it before it gets unsolid.

Would a patch panel from the top work, or would it be best to weld in a brace from the spring hanger itself to the pinch weld ? or both ?

That would probably work, but there ain't enough floorboard left to bolt the outer flange to (or weld to).

Thanks for the link, as those will come in handy later on.

The hanger itself is fine, it's just the floor it is welded to that is toast, and even with the bracket in the above link, I'd still have no way to support the outer part of it.

Last edited:
Would a patch panel from the top work, or would it be best to weld in a brace from the spring hanger itself to the pinch weld ? or both ?

in a word, yes. I would err on the side of "overkill" and do both. Definitely replace the floor where it attaches and then add some additional bracing to keep it where it belongs.

Back