• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear clanking noise... help

wek91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a clanking noise in my rear of the jeep while im slowing down, could that be axle shafts or gears or brakes./... i know its pretty broad list of things but any help is appriciated..... thanks ( dont think its the drive shaft or u-jouints..... somthin with axle or bearings or drums

Well, you probably need to throw out some more details.

Does it only clank once for every time you step on the brake or continously?

Is it a rythmic sound?

Does the rythm slow down as the XJ slows down?

Does it happen if you accelerate and lightly press the brake with your left foot while accelerating?

Does it happen if you downshift to slow down or does it only happen when the brake is applied?

Does it happen if you shift into N while driving, then slow down with the brake?

wek91xj said:
someones gotta have somthing to say..........

process of elimination. i would atleast pull the rear wheels and look at the brakes to see if they are functioning properly.

what have you actually done to diagnos the problem or are you just asking questions? you need to rule out a few things first.

is your jeep stock?

Back