• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper options, now that BPI Fab is gone?

Bulletproof is under new ownership, they are not gone according to new magazine I just picked up--------Kyle

I run the rear C4x4 bumper and tire carrier. Holds a 35 just fine. Tire carrier is really excellent and the side armour has seen it's share of trees.

As for the receiver, I installed a drawtite receiver. It actually helps distribute the bumper load on the frame rail. (Bumper ties to it)
It also adds a bit of armour on the departures. Though I don't actually recall ever dragging it.

Derik

offroadman83 said:
Bulletproof is under new ownership, they are not gone according to new magazine I just picked up--------Kyle

Do they still make thier bumpers out of gold? Oh wait, they just priced them that way! With no more BPI, I would recommend C4x4. The price is right and quality is good.

Prepmech said:
Well, I really like the Kaymar, but I have a 2000. Here is why I decided against the others:

Another slight problem is that I have bushwackers, and have removed my plastic quarter panel bumper ends. So, a bumper like the AEV, or Tomken's would look strange as they re-use those ends. Will a pre-'96 bumper work on a 2000? Will the hatch hit the bumper at the bottom?
The plastic end caps aren't a problem with Bushwackers. Just trim the end caps back a bit.
DSC00217.JPG

...or you could get rid of them altogether. I ditched mine when I bought the Kaymar. I used pieces of trimmed down door molding to cover the end cap holes.
dsc03089s.jpg

i was just about to post an offroadtechnology link. I like the look of that stuff.
on a side note.....WTF is Tomkin thinking with that front bumper? square tube with brackets welded on? no thanks.

NorStar said:
hmm... I'm not aware of any tow points or a hitch receiver on the C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier.

You can order the C4X4F rear bumper with or without D-ring tabs. Check their web site. I have their bumpers on my TJ as well and the rear came with a receiver hitch.

Emailed Kaymar Austrialia and they forwarded me to the NA distributor.

The first email I received.

"We are the North American distributor for Kaymar and have been forwarded your inquiry. Unfortunately you are correct Kaymar does not make a bumper to suit your year vehicle due to the "wings" along the rear sides. "

I told him that I would be taking the "wings" off and how much it would be. The second email I received.

"You would buy through us. Tow bumper with a single pivot for a tire carrier is $550. With dual pivots is also $550. Tire carrier for LHS is $325, and RHS Jerry can carrier is $352. All items are currently good in stock."

This is in the same price range as Warn and OT.

evilpresence said:
Emailed Kaymar Austrialia and they forwarded me to the NA distributor.

The first email I received.

"We are the North American distributor for Kaymar and have been forwarded your inquiry. Unfortunately you are correct Kaymar does not make a bumper to suit your year vehicle due to the "wings" along the rear sides. "

I told him that I would be taking the "wings" off and how much it would be. The second email I received.

"You would buy through us. Tow bumper with a single pivot for a tire carrier is $550. With dual pivots is also $550. Tire carrier for LHS is $325, and RHS Jerry can carrier is $352. All items are currently good in stock."

This is in the same price range as Warn and OT.

I'm pretty sure even with the wings off the slight curve in the hatch will cause problems with the Kaymar bar, here in Aus I've seen maybe one or two post 97's running Kaymar bars, the bars were modded quite a bit.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F said:
I'm pretty sure even with the wings off the slight curve in the hatch will cause problems with the Kaymar bar, here in Aus I've seen maybe one or two post 97's running Kaymar bars, the bars were modded quite a bit.

Cheers
Steve

Can you elaborate on what was done?

I cant off the top of my head but go to http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com and checkout the forum. There be a few guys on there that could fill in the details. Sub XJ on that forum runs a shop and I'm sure they've done this mod including adding wings to match the post 97 shape.

Cheers
Steve

C-ROK said:
I still like this one the best :D

97+%20RD%202%20Close.JPG
That's a very nice bumper but, as this picture shows, you stopped 3" short of perfection (for us post '97 owners.)

kid4lyf said:
That's a very nice bumper but, as this picture shows, you stopped 3" short of perfection (for us post '97 owners.)

Can't win 'em all I guess.
In our trial versions that extended closer to the wheel well opening, we got a lot of feedback concerned about trimmed fenders.

Here's another option for 97+ owners:
Scan179_edit2%20close.jpg

Use an early model flare.

C-ROK said:
Can't win 'em all I guess.
In our trial versions that extended closer to the wheel well opening, we got a lot of feedback concerned about trimmed fenders.

I do like the mounting design. For those of us that don't have any friends, you don't have to hold the bumper while shrinking you hand to get the first few bolts started. That's great. Maybe a tire carrier should be in the works. :D

PS: G, I had no issues with the Hanson mounting over the Steering Box plates you sent me. I was worried for nothing. Thanks.

Hey C-Rok, do you guys have a rear tire carrier available for that bumper for a 97+? I really like it, but I need a place to put my 33" spare other than the cargo area. Let me know, thanks!

Tire carrier is in the works but not available yet. We hope to have one out by years end.

The hand shrinking feat is the only tough part about installing the rear bumper. On the driver side the interior gas filler neck makes access to that quarter panel interior a 'squeeze'. But, it can all be done by one person. The contour of the bumper over the body contour and the flat top of our mounting brackets hold the bumper in place very nicley while everything is bolted together.

C-ROK said:
The hand shrinking feat is the only tough part about installing the rear bumper.
Yours is better than most. I have installed Tomken’s and now a used Custom4x4. Trying to hold the bumper up while shrinking your hand in to tighten the first few bolts is a real PITA, especially being friendless and holding up the bumper all by myself. :rattle:

Back