• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear ARB no worky

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the seals in the rear ARB, and found the line was full of oil.

I pull the lines off of the compressor to test the solenoids and blow the oil out of the rear line. Google says use carb cleaner to blow the lines out.
O-ring seals at the compressor are crushed and some A/C guy has been into the rear because the Nylog is still gooey.

I put thumbs over the air holes and I'm getting some pressure. It's not like it's blowing my thumb off the holes. Lifting my thumbs slightly I get hissing from front and back. For a 100 psi I was expecting more? comments?

I defiantly have oil backed all the way up to the compressor, I see oil in the rear hole after removing the line. I guess I'll buy one new solenoid to see if I get more pressure. Has anyone tried hooking the line directly into the compressor? I can see doing this for the rear.

ARB.jpg

Is there a drain on the compressor tank?

Sounds to me like the solenoid is sticking which would happen if your getting gear oil in it. What happens is that solenoid switches and pressurizes the line to activate the locker. When it switches back, the pressure will vent to the Normally open hole in the solenoid. If it brings gear oil up too as it vents off the pressure, it will affect the O-rings in the solenoid and gum it up. You'll have to figure out why gear oil is getting in there, fix that and replace the solenoid and you'll be in good shape again.

check your axle breather. If it gets plugged the pressure build up in the diff can push gear oil past the ARB seals and right up the airline.

Both solenoids were wasted. here is a picture with the solenoid removed from the valve.
ARB002.jpg

Now with air line disconnected the air to locker will blow my thumb off of the outlet. Maybe my thumb is calibrated
doublefuk.gif

I connected the rear line directly to the compressor. here is a picture of the new solenoid.
ARB003.jpg

Back