• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reading Codes

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I seem to remember reading about a cable and software to read codes from your vehicle with your laptop. Am I remembering correctly or do I need to buy a Diagnostic Readout Box?
gregg

tgregg said:
I seem to remember reading about a cable and software to read codes from your vehicle with your laptop. Am I remembering correctly or do I need to buy a Diagnostic Readout Box?
gregg

If we're talking OBD-II vehicles, there's a *lot* of software out there.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=obdii+software&btnG=Google+Search

You'll still need to buy or build an interface, though. It's not a straight plug-in to your laptop's serial port.

Isn't a 95 XJ OBDI?? So my question would apply to that. Cheepo parts stores have a small reader for about $70. I'm just exploring other options.
gregg

You can actually read codes by counting the number of flashes from the check engine light. turn the ignition on then off then on again. The check engine light will start to flash. I forget how many times, but there is a number of flashes for the start of codes and end of codes. search for trouble code numbers. They can also be found in the service manual you can buy at the auto parts store. Hope this helps.

Turn the key on and off 5 times, keeping the key in the run position on the 5th time. A few seconds later, the check engine light will start to flash codes.

The codes are 2 digits, and each code will repeat 3 times starting with a code 12. The last code flashed will be 55.

Back