• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE swaybar links upgrade to cheap disconnects

Smog

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I just recieved my 3.5" Super-Ride lift from RE a few days ago. Its well known that this kit comes with no quick disconnects, and i'm a biology student trying to finance my wheelin' needs in a full time budget stress, so going with aftermarket QD and not use the brand new links ofered in the kit was never an option.

My poor man solution was the next: Improving the RE swaybar links to Quick Disconnects.

The objetive was to avoid the Gen1 RE type (with noisy center tube and stuff) and also avoid the use of my stock and seriously weared bushings with the stock links (plus, i would need to do an extention). So after lot's of searching, i came up with this:

1. The design is the result of mixing the JKS link fold system with the famous and low budget hitch pin/clip in the axle bolt.

704737_46_full.jpg

2. Fearing to spoil the original 1/2" bolt provided from RE to replace the axle torx bolt, i bought a new one. Then i just cutted it to fit and drilled the hole for the hitch pin clip.

704737_48_full.jpg

3. The final assembly is simple: i just replaced the RE provided bolt with the new modified pin-like bolt leaving the nut in the outer side of the mount and the spacer, sb link, washer and clip in the inner side.

704737_47_full.jpg

Using them:
Since the RE links have static rubber bushings and not a floating spherical one, move the link sideward to disconect it from the pin wasnt an easy option. The solution is not to secure the pin bolt with a nut in the inner part of the mount. this way you just retire the clip and slide the bolt an inch or so to let the link free (if don't want to leave loose parts you can always completly retire the pin)
When reconnecting the links, you do the same and can actually tight the outer nut to secure it properly and avoid noise.

Pro's:
-Total cost of the upgrade was about $3.00USD
-Its definitly quicker than unscrew the RE provided bolt
-They are pretty quiet

Con's:
-Appart from the hitch pin clips, you deal with various little independent parts that are easy to loose in the trail
-Folding the link to atach it to the swaybar and secure it is not as easy as i thought, even when it still worth it to work that way.
-Maybe more than in other cases but, as usual, you have to keep an eye on the system all the time to prevent a bad suprise in the highway.

I will edit the post and upload pics of them installed and working as soon as i got my camera back from service.

I hope this 1 hour project can give an idea of how to improve the Super-Ride SBlinks with little money and time, Oscar.

Nice...I did a smiliar thing with my Full Traction sway bar disconnects. They are noisy as hell, so I did the exact same thing and ended up welding the Full Traction stuff. I agree, its pretty hard to disconnect and reconnect, but worth it not to have the noise. If you ever find a better way to disconnect them, be sure to post. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Thats a far better design than the RE gen 1s lol. I have them and leave them disconnected more often than anything because they are such a pain lol.

Back