• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re gearing ?

I agree. If I was going to have only one locker and one open I'd lock the front run rear open

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The front is going to have a helical lock its hybrid of lsd and full locker

It is not even close to a locker. Trust me. Limited at best. A full case locker up front is what you need to lift the front over obstacles. A lsd in the rear will let the rear pivot properly it tight turning and offer a bit of help in climbing loos terrain.

I have seen them in action in the rocks. Helicals always loosen right when you need it locked. It is very frustrating. Honestly id rather have an open diff then spend money on an lsd. Imo

We just replaced a smoked wizzbang helicoil locker thing in our work truck. 07 dodge 3500 never ounce did it feel locked.

Its now replaced with open carrier.

Keep it stupid simple

Lock it or don't.

Guess I just misunderstood the logic behind them been doing research on them thought that they locked themselves as one wheel lost traction but the more I read on to it I guess they are all torque bias now with like 3:1 tbr I originally thought it was still the original torsen design

It is not even close to a locker. Trust me. Limited at best. A full case locker up front is what you need to lift the front over obstacles. A lsd in the rear will let the rear pivot properly it tight turning and offer a bit of help in climbing loos terrain.

I have seen them in action in the rocks. Helicals always loosen right when you need it locked. It is very frustrating. Honestly id rather have an open diff then spend money on an lsd. Imo

Quoting Gordon for TRUTH.

Locker in the front and it really really should really be a full case locker (Detroit, ARB, OX, etc) if at all possible. Eat ramen for another month.

Get the front through and the rear will follow, and, it will be better on the road in 2wd.

So I have a grizzly in the front.
Had a bad day. Broke a front inner d30 ujoint smoked my 8.25 gears to point the rear wouldn't drive.
Was able to limp on just one front tire moving us. No small task pulling the welded rear through turns on the pavement

I've been in love with the grizzly I put in the front. Its been a game changer wish I'd of done it sooner.

The helical I was going to get was a Yukon Spartan but after reading so.e of the replies here I did some more looking in to it and agreed that probably wasn't what I was looking for now I'm in a toss up between the Yukon grizzly and the powertrax grip pro can I'm not in any way interested in dropping a g just in to a locker for the d turdy I just don't wheel it enough to justify that but I do want some value-longevity I'm hesitant to squeeze the trigger on either of them but either way I'm going to need to change the carrier for the 4.56 gears so it makes sense to get the case like those provide

Now one more thing is there anyway to identify the spline count on the 8 25 without pulling the axle I don't remember the year of the xj these came out of

Now one more thing is there anyway to identify the spline count on the 8 25 without pulling the axle I don't remember the year of the xj these came out of

You can pull a spider gear.

The helical I was going to get was a Yukon Spartan but after reading so.e of the replies here I did some more looking in to it and agreed that probably wasn't what I was looking for now I'm in a toss up between the Yukon grizzly and the powertrax grip pro can I'm not in any way interested in dropping a g just in to a locker for the d turdy I just don't wheel it enough to justify that but I do want some value-longevity I'm hesitant to squeeze the trigger on either of them but either way I'm going to need to change the carrier for the 4.56 gears so it makes sense to get the case like those provide

Just so we are clear on terminally. Spartan is not a helical limited slip. It is a lunchbox locker. Ratchets when coasting allowing a differential action. Then when power is applied it locks both shafts together as a spool would. For light wheeling and mud these are acceptable. But the design is weaker than a full case locker because it relies on a stock open carrier.

A full case locker will replace the carrier and be far superior in strength and durability. The grizzly is a great example of this. Also the eaton detroit locker.

A helical limited slip is just that a limited slip and nothing more. The eaton truetrac is the best one out there and for snow or street racing they are fantastic. But the dont belong in the rocks.

A helical limited slip is just that a limited slip and nothing more. The eaton truetrac is the best one out there and for snow or street racing they are fantastic. But the dont belong in the rocks.

With all due respect, I'm going to have to disagree - one of the NAC BOD members just decomissioned a rig with truetracs in both axles, on 35s. He ran that rig in the rocks here in the NE for something like 10 years or so, as well as making runs to Moab and Colorado and seemed to be very pleased with how it worked - didn't seem to me like much stopped that thing.

Every configuration does have it limits, but proper technique can take you a long way with just about any setup.

Just so we are clear on terminally. Spartan is not a helical limited slip. It is a lunchbox locker. Ratchets when coasting allowing a differential action. Then when power is applied it locks both shafts together as a spool would. For light wheeling and mud these are acceptable. But the design is weaker than a full case locker because it relies on a stock open carrier.

All do respect before you try to correct me on the Spartan please look at the link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L8DFGW4/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_87XJXF6AS2B4C6CH8NZC

I didn't know Spartan made a helical LSD. I think when most people hear Spartan they think lunchbox.

FWIW, I put an Eaton Trutrac in the rear of my stock tow rig and love it. Drove it up to Alaska and the Arctic Ocean and know for a fact it saved my butt several times in the sand and the muddy roads up there. Rocks...I don't do rocks in that rig :)

All do respect before you try to correct me on the Spartan please look at the link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L8DFGW4/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_87XJXF6AS2B4C6CH8NZC

All do respect. That off brand Chinese company is spartan brand(never heard of it), not yukon brand spartan locker. And it is not a locker despite what that poorly worded add is lying about. It is not a locker in any way. It is a limited slip.

Yukon is a brand that is known commonly in this community and spartan lockers are a model made by yukon. That is the reason i made my previous post. It seemed there was some confusion of terminology. Glad we cleared that up.

Helical limited slips are fantastic in snow and on the road. But infuriating in the rocks.

Last edited:
Back