• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE CA Drop Brackets, LCA too tight?

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced some badly corroded RC drop brackets with a new set of RE DB, Seems the RE lower control arm pockets in the brackets are too tight, I had to spread them open a bit just to get the LCA into the bracket, I'm sure they would fit better if I removed the caster adjusting insert, but the RE instructions say to use it.
How tight should the control arms be?
Should the move freely up & down or does bushing flex allow for up down movement?

Very common issue. I use a piece of allthread and 2 nuts to spread them before I put the arms in. No issues once its done.

I generally leave it in place.

On a few rigs I've determined where I want the arm to go and then welded weld washers on the outside of the drop bracket instead.

The control arms can be a tight fit when assembling the drop brackets. Use the caster adjuster. Torque all hardware to spec with the tires on the ground.

Are your old brackets in good enough shape to use as a template to make new ones?

If so, are you interested in selling 'em?

This is a common issue with any welded double shear bracket (speaking generally here). When you weld parts together the heat makes things move and shrink very slightly. In the case of a control arm bracket usually you'll put a fixture in place of the joint you intend to use, then weld. The problem is if you fixture is the same size as your joint (or if you just use the joint) when the welds cool the whole bracket tightens up. When I build my engine plates and tranny mounts I have to hammer the fixture tube out after welding. Knowing this I make the fixture about .065" oversize so that while the fixture may not be easy to get in or out, the actual part going in will. If I'm doing something where I don't have a fixture I'll slip a 1/16" shim in before welding.

Sounds to me like the fixture they use just doesn't have quite enough oversize. That's not a huge problem though, just do what Cal said and spread the bracket a little.

This is a common issue with any welded double shear bracket (speaking generally here). When you weld parts together the heat makes things move and shrink very slightly. In the case of a control arm bracket usually you'll put a fixture in place of the joint you intend to use, then weld. The problem is if you fixture is the same size as your joint (or if you just use the joint) when the welds cool the whole bracket tightens up. When I build my engine plates and tranny mounts I have to hammer the fixture tube out after welding. Knowing this I make the fixture about .065" oversize so that while the fixture may not be easy to get in or out, the actual part going in will. If I'm doing something where I don't have a fixture I'll slip a 1/16" shim in before welding.

Sounds to me like the fixture they use just doesn't have quite enough oversize. That's not a huge problem though, just do what Cal said and spread the bracket a little.
throw on top of that how thick powder coating can be... and things get tight.

Since the CA Rubber bushing and metal bolt sleeve stuck out a bit from the end of CA, I just ground them down until they fit in the drop bracket...

My RE drop brackets are fairly stout, and I would be hard pressed to spread them with some all thread.... Grinding the bushings just seemed easier at the time

Ask NorCalChris how well drop brackets work without the adjuster shoes bolted in, and no welded washers..

Since the CA Rubber bushing and metal bolt sleeve stuck out a bit from the end of CA, I just ground them down until they fit in the drop bracket...

My RE drop brackets are fairly stout, and I would be hard pressed to spread them with some all thread.... Grinding the bushings just seemed easier at the time

They actually spread pretty easily, I used a 9/16 nut & bolt, I welded the bolt head to a unistrut flat fitting (basically a piece if 1/4" plate with 1/2" holes in it)then I used another fitting placing the bolt through its hole & the hole in the DB, cranked the nut until things spread out where I wanted them, took 10 minutes of fab time & 5 minutes per side to spread open, easy!

Back