• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 7.5" LA installed, few problems/questions

First off, many people on this site have it completely wrong as to what to do when you have leaves that sit too high or need to be broken in. Just throwing weight in the back of the Jeep and working the leaves won't do shit if you shackle angle isn't correct. If your rear shackle is near vertical I hate to say it, but your leaves are always going to act stiff and never really flex properly due to the swing arc of the shackle.

So, with that being said, how exactly do you shackles sit in reference to the ground?

First off, many people on this site have it completely wrong as to what to do when you have leaves that sit too high or need to be broken in. Just throwing weight in the back of the Jeep and working the leaves won't do shit if you shackle angle isn't correct. If your rear shackle is near vertical I hate to say it, but your leaves are always going to act stiff and never really flex properly due to the swing arc of the shackle.

So, with that being said, how exactly do you shackles sit in reference to the ground?

Such an eloquent way of putting it. Have you considered proofreading your posts before hitting the 'submit' button?

:farmer:

Wow! I didn't realize the English grammar nazi's take such offense to someone trying to just get a point across. Or maybe you are the "people" he was refering too and took offense, so you have to make him feel a little lower than you.

Just saying. Give the man some slack.

Oh and I think your NAXJA grammar filter is broke. Might want to get that checked out.

Wow! I didn't realize the English grammar nazi's take such offense to someone trying to just get a point across. Or maybe you are the "people" he was refering too and took offense, so you have to make him feel a little lower than you.

Just saying. Give the man some slack.

Oh and I think your NAXJA grammar filter is broke. Might want to get that checked out.

Proofreading for content, not grammar. ;) I didn't take offense, I just thought it was funny that Francis got his panties in a bunch over some silly web discussion. He found it necessary to use profanity and demonstrate his intelligence to simply say he disagreed with my position.

Proofreading for content, not grammar. ;) I didn't take offense, I just thought it was funny that Francis got his panties in a bunch over some silly web discussion. He found it necessary to use profanity and demonstrate his intelligence to simply say he disagreed with my position.

Heh? I'm an engineering student...I don't need no stinkin' proofreadin! It's been a late night working suspension numbers so I was a little cranky. But in all seriousness too many people like to band-aid stuff instead of trying to address the real issue, i.e. shackle angle and location. I guess its just something I naturally see and understand, but others might not. This question had been tossed around more times than the "how big of tires can I fit on a 2" BB" :banghead: Sorry but for me it gets rather farkin annoying that people can't search. Guess thats why I spend a lot of time on Pirate...since we can be nazi's about it and people don't get butthurt :D

Oh and it's not about me disagreeing with your position...thats something to be done AFTER you've corrected the shackle angle, otherwise you actually making things worse for your leaves, its all a matter of force vectors in a way. I had 6.5" rusty's leaves that didn't work all that well even after putting weight in the rear as I was told to do. After I fabbed up some shackle relocators, the leaves broke in well and flexed amazingly. I'm just trying to get the point across of do things right, otherwise whats the point?

Last edited:
Hahaha, easy guys!

Anywho, the shackles are RE shackles, that are made with a 45* angle. The top half of the shackle is straight down and then kicks towards the rear bumper where it mounts to the leaf.

Hahaha, easy guys!

Anywho, the shackles are RE shackles, that are made with a 45* angle. The top half of the shackle is straight down and then kicks towards the rear bumper where it mounts to the leaf.
The shape of the shackle doesnt matter(except for clearance issues),only the angle from Bolt-to-Bolt!

Eckjay, I hope you're just trolling... check his thread in AdvFab he's not all imagineer :roll:

I definitely agree with RCP here, get those washers and drilled shims out of there ASAP. A washer may not even stand up to the bolt tension + driving for very long, if it pulls through you're worse off than before because now you have the spring rocking around on what's left of the washer AND the center bolt isn't seated in the perch.

What does bending tube have to do with springs settling in? I'd hate to post a pic of my shackle angle as it's been for the last 7 years. I might get told it'll never work. :D

I have more practical experience than many here ;)

Just because I'm a student, doesn't mean I still can't school ya in a thing or two :D

Here's my thread for reference of shackle angle correction...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101028

maybe its just me, but you need to take a welding/fabrication class? good design but they could look better. maybe its just the pictures. do you have any better pictures?

since engineers know everything, you need something to pick on them about.

maybe its just me, but you need to take a welding/fabrication class? good design but they could look better. maybe its just the pictures. do you have any better pictures?

since engineers know everything, you need something to pick on them about.

I had actually taken a welding class right before I made those, and I've had a LOT of practice since then. Yeah they look like crap I won't disagree with ya on that...but they worked damn well. There is a vendor on here that now makes a shackle box, even though I believe there are still some flaws in their design....they work. You can check out my thread in advaced fab if ya still think I need some practice ;)

Yes i'm an engineer...but I know FAR from everything :D

I just happen to have a rather mechanical/tinkering mind and won't leave something alone I feel can be better especially when it comes to my rig...hence why I made the shackle boxes once I had access to some resources to make them.

I had actually taken a welding class right before I made those, and I've had a LOT of practice since then. Yeah they look like crap I won't disagree with ya on that...but they worked damn well. There is a vendor on here that now makes a shackle box, even though I believe there are still some flaws in their design....they work. You can check out my thread in advaced fab if ya still think I need some practice ;)

Yes i'm an engineer...but I know FAR from everything :D

I just happen to have a rather mechanical/tinkering mind and won't leave something alone I feel can be better especially when it comes to my rig...hence why I made the shackle boxes once I had access to some resources to make them.

i was just poking some fun.

shackle relocation boxes do serve the purpose of getting the proper shackle angle. when looking at your situation on your rig, the shackle actually was in the negaitve direction and know matter how much weight you put in the back, the shackle and spring could not function proporly.

the situation seems different then is OP problem. springs do go through a break in period. once broken in, the lose some arch and flatten which wll make them longer from mounting point to mounting point.

the change in length can also fix the shackle angle. so in some cases, all that is needed if for the spring to break in and in some cases, the shackle needs to be relocated.

you make a valid point about shackle relocation, but thats not the only way to fix shackle angle.

Back