• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" lift... hopefully riding level

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
So the RE 3.5" lifts are known to ride 'butt up' and stuff...
I'm on the 'refuse to do a tc drop' camp and too poor for a SYE right now.:looney:

I do have 4* shims.... and before I install this, I was wondering the following...
a) Which end of the spring pack is the front? Or does it not matter?
b) If I took a leaf (I'm thinking second from the bottom) out would it ride more level, and with the back end slightly lower (not lower than the front, but lower than if it were on full leaf packs) it would slightly reduce the driveline angles so it would help reduce the potential for vibrations...

A guy on another XJ site said it'd ride butt low, but I thought I'd get other opinions here before I do anything.
-Matt

Is it installed yet? Thought about adding another coil spring isolator or spacer to even out the front.

I'm on the 'refuse to do a tc drop' camp and too poor for a SYE right now.:looney:

I do have 4* shims.... and before I install this, I was wondering the following...
b) If I took a leaf (I'm thinking second from the bottom) out would it ride more level, and with the back end slightly lower (not lower than the front, but lower than if it were on full leaf packs) it would slightly reduce the driveline angles so it would help reduce the potential for vibrations...

A guy on another XJ site said it'd ride butt low, but I thought I'd get other opinions here before I do anything.
-Matt

1.bigger end of the leaf pack goes in the back
2. dont remove or add a leaf (not neccessary)
3. If you are not happy with the front or rear, simply add a coil spacer for the front and or new shackles for the rear

It's not installed yet... and I'd like to know if anyone has experience with this or not... I might try it for kicks, to see how it sits, and if not tear into it again to add in said 2nd smallest leaf.

If it doesn't work out I'll go with a 1" spacer in front, but I'd rather have the back end lower to help with driveline angles a little bit... at least until I get a SYE (Jeep modding budget is about all spent for the year unless I get a major raise...)

1.bigger end of the leaf pack goes in the back
2. dont remove or add a leaf (not neccessary)
3. If you are not happy with the front or rear, simply add a coil spacer for the front and or new shackles for the rear

the bigger bushing end goes in the front/frame mount and the smaller end mounts to the shackle

the bigger bushing end goes in the front/frame mount and the smaller end mounts to the shackle

Which means the longer end from the center pin out goes to the back of the XJ (shackle end).

just drop the tc it is 21 dollars for the RE drop kit which is just 4 bolts and spacers. i have the same lift on mine and it worked great.

-Matt

What year is your rig? If its a 97+ your are probably going to have to have a SYE in order to drive it! THe RE 3.5 is gonna sit at more like 4.5 so either a t-case drop or SYE is going to be required.

I would go with coil spacers before messing with the leaf pack. Big eye forward, long span between center pin and eye goes aft. RE leafs are generally very highly rated, I wouldn't mess with it one bit.

my jeep didnt need a sye or tc drop when i ran the RE 3.5"... it had some vibes but was perfectly fine. however every jeep is different.

auto or manual?
what rear axle do you have?
what transfer case do you have?

all this will play into it

my jeep didnt need a sye or tc drop when i ran the RE 3.5"... it had some vibes but was perfectly fine. however every jeep is different.

That makes no sense,any vibe is bad for the drivetrain!The 96+ are definately more prone to vibes,Jeep even had a TSB for issues with STOCK vehicles.

That makes no sense,any vibe is bad for the drivetrain!The 96+ are definately more prone to vibes,Jeep even had a TSB for issues with STOCK vehicles.

bad for the driveline? yes it is!

however i ran that setup over some pretty rough trails without any problems! does that make it right? absolutely not!

did it work? hell ya, i didnt have to buy an SYE and driveshaft for that lift

bad for the driveline? yes it is!

however i ran that setup over some pretty rough trails without any problems! does that make it right? absolutely not!

did it work? hell ya, i didnt have to buy an SYE and driveshaft for that lift

A slower turning drive shaft is more forgiving when it come vibration. However, driving at highway speeds is a different cup of tea.

For crawling only, I would not worry about a little vibes especially since the axle is always articulating,...

Back