• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC Rock Crawler questions.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
In a desperate push to get my son to quit obssesing over video games I have decided to get him a decent RC crawler for his birthday.

I know there are a few of you on here who mess with these so I thought I would ask like minded people. I've scoured the RC boards and the opinions there are just too widely spread.

My son is turning 10. I would like to get something not overly expensive but at the same time not a cheap plastic toy. He likes working on mechanical things and I think the ability to work on and repair the crap he breaks would be good too.

Is there anyone selling RC kits anymore or is everything pretty much ready to run? When I was a kid I got a lot of pleasure from building RC cars from kits. I think it went a long way to help prepare me to work on Jeeps.

Any suggestions?

Look up Axial scx10. They sell kits that dont come with any electronics, I think kits are $250-300.. Add another $150+ ish for batts/charger/radio/servos. Ready to run is $380ish(still need batts\ charger). Not really cheap but its f***in cool!!

Mason bought a Red Cat RS10 a few years ago and it's a fun, inexpensive rig. Not a hardcore crawler, but you can tweak the suspension and add some stickier rubber and it does pretty well as an entry rig. You can come over and check it out if you want.

Go with one of the SCX10's! They're great trucks and can be bought in RTR or Kit form.

The SCX10 Dingo is sold only as a Kit and has the aluminum suspension links instead of plastic like the RTR comes with, Walker Evans licensed rims, and their own scale type tires in a fairly sticky compound. It should allow you to more easily put the Proline Racing '92 XJ body on it too!

Then there is the Honcho, which is only sold as an RTR now. While the a fore mentioned suspension links are plastic, the wheels base is a bit longer so it will work with the now disco'd Proline Racing '92 Comanche body, it comes from the factory with a Castle Creations Sidewinder based speed control that can be programmed with the Castle Link programming goodies and a cheap 2.4ghz radio, and the same rolling stock as the Dingo kit.

Then there's the new fully licensed Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr with Poison Spider Customs licensed parts, Walker Evens Licensed wheels from the other two, Licensed Maxxis Trepidor tires. The Kit version (red) is otherwise a kit version of the Honcho (same specs as the Dingo, just longer WB) and comes with a separate hard top while the RTR version (silver) is the RTR Honcho both with all of the above licensed goodies instead of what the others would come with.

Would love to get one of the RTR JK and the Vaterra Twin Hammer Rock Racer, but that's nearly $800 worth of rigs......not really in the budget at the moment.............

Here is my Dingo:
edygyged.jpg
5u4y4u8u.jpg

genupa9u.jpg

mygy8ana.jpg

There are soooo many different kits out there and such.

A new one that I would bet is going to be a hit.
Twin Hammers.

Also look at the Venom or a wraith.

You really can't go wrong with anything that Axial makes. Before the kits, you had to source parts from different RC manufacturers and make your own links, frames, etc.

Now that axial has been making the Kits and the RTR's, it's super easy to get into the RC Crawling world.

Your kid will love it.

My and my son have Axial Wraiths and a Scale JK Brute. On top of that, we have 2WD slash's. They are super fun to beat on.

Back