• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raising lower control arm brackets?

very old thread again, but i tend to make very slow progress with the old XJ. I wheel it more the wrench on it these days, which is always good.

I did pick up a stock housing about a year ago now, Yesterday i dropped it off at a friend/fabricators house, and told him the recipie i wanted. He has already stripped it of the old brackets, started a truss, and ordered up the brackets needed.

I feel shitty im not doing the work myself as its one of my fav things to do, but i don't have any time, he needs work, and i want it done

you will have pics as it work gets done

You guys whining about messing up geometry are killing me here. Do you even realize how terrible our front suspension geometry is when we lift our rigs? Or how terrible it gets when we flex down in the least bit?

This is a pretty good upgrade to make. With lower profile amounts you really only move the axle forward an inch. Which is no big deal to combat with adjustable upper control arms. An even better upgrade is to ditch the passenger upper and build a new link tower that will house a full size 2.375 x 9/16 joint at the axle and add a new frame side upper mount that will do the same. Then you can pull the driver upper control arm and relieve a lot of bind. At the same time you'll be able to regain some of your vertical separation at the axle. This doesn't have as much to do with geometry as it does control if your rotating forces.

If it helps anyone considering raising their lower brackets, I ran a rig for a year with RE drop brackets, Adjustable RE arms, stock axle side UCA mounts, and cut off and welded some ruffstuff axle side LCA mounts to be flush with the axle tubes. Thing rode great, never once did I feel like I needed to raise the upper mounts on the axle. thing was fine. Never thought much about doing it, just did it. Arms were nice and flat at ride height and that was very nice.

Back