• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race crash at Reno Air Race

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
That's a shame, I hope it doesn't hurt the sport.

At least they died on a good day watching what they enjoy.

Your link is dead

It is crazy out here. So sad to see that crash.

I feel for the victims and their families. I have a a few co-workers out in Carson City, I hope none of them were there and in the crash.

Wow, thats terrible. Just goes to show you that you never know when it may be your time!

Its a sad day for all. About 30yrs ago I lost a great friend at an airshow in Texas,His wife was on the PA doing the commentary at the time,I will never forget the horror in her voice as she watched his plane plummet to the ground.

Are there any details to why he crashed? I herd someone saying they think the pilot maybe had a medical issue(heart attack) and collapsed onto the flight stick causing the crash.

I know this will paint me as a total ass hole but I'm torn on what upsets me more. The fact that a bunch of people got hurt and a few died...or the fact we lost another P-51.

He hit a spectator area right next to the grand stands. Unlike a lot of automotive events, they don't let people wander/congregate in unauthorized areas. Something to do with holding the events at active airports.

Only speculation I've read so far was mechanical failure. According to witnesses, it looked like the aircraft was maneuvering, but broken. It's hard to tell. The racers fly so close to the ground, anything but an engine failure doesn't usually leave any time to do anything but smack the asphalt.
I know this will paint me as a total ass hole but I'm torn on what upsets me more. The fact that a bunch of people got hurt and a few died...or the fact we lost another P-51.
I feel the same way. I always feel bad when something like this happens. I don't know what it says about my humanity when I think, "that plane was irreplaceable."
A B-17 caught fire and burned down a couple months ago. All I could think was, "So few left,.." It occurred to me later that someone might have gotten hurt. :dunno:

Are there any details to why he crashed? I herd someone saying they think the pilot maybe had a medical issue(heart attack) and collapsed onto the flight stick causing the crash.

I'm pretty sure no one can come to that conclusion at this point. With his experience in mind the assumption is mechanical failure.

Well, I'll say a 74 year old should not be flying in that venue, pulling 3+ g's. Maybe aerobatics away from the crowd, but at Reno when they come around the final pylon, they are pointed right at the grandstands. An experienced pilot flying a plane made famous by 20 year old reflexes.

A waste of life and and a work of aeronatical art.

Wow,a T-38 went down at an airshow today in West Virginia.

Anything is speculation except an official report (or official speculation) but some makes more sense than others, my favorite aviation forum speculation so far is; the photos show a possible elevator trim tab failure, and there is a known incident of a P-51 experiencing a sudden high G climbout to uncontrolled flight upon a trim tab failure. That time, pilot woke up in the bottom of the cockpit more or less with the P51 still climbing. It's easy to imagine the same thing happens but the aircraft rolls and dives while the pilot is unable to control it if not blacked out due to the forces involved...

Sounds like something they will be investigating. http://news.yahoo.com/reno-crash-killed-9-probe-focuses-wayward-part-212230699.html

Very sad to hear, and the T-28 crash right on the heels of this, Thoughts of support for all those involved. And great thanks to everyone who loves and risks keeping the old war birds in the air.

Meh, it was a bubba hack job just like one of those 1/4 ton trailers with a tailgate cut into it.

Meh, it was a bubba hack job just like one of those 1/4 ton trailers with a tailgate cut into it.
If you are referring to the "Galloping Ghost", the modifications to the airframes for racing aren't exactly "hack jobs".

The press has been making a big deal about the wings being shortened, fuselage mods, etc. These are common mods to ALL the racers at Reno. Taking 5 feet off each wing tips doesn't cause a problem when you lower the weight of the airframe by 1/3.

If you are referring to the "Galloping Ghost", the modifications to the airframes for racing aren't exactly "hack jobs".

The press has been making a big deal about the wings being shortened, fuselage mods, etc. These are common mods to ALL the racers at Reno. Taking 5 feet off each wing tips doesn't cause a problem when you lower the weight of the airframe by 1/3.

I should have added a smilie.

My comment was in sarcastic reference to another thread on NAXJA.

I do not doubt the integrity of the airframe, with the caveat that any modifications from stock can have unforeseen and unintended consequences.

Back