• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep XJ Buggy Rockjock 60 front, 14bolt rear 40" Iroks etc

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well after seeing my buggified XJ sit 3-4 months at a time without use, I am looking to see if selling it is in my best interest. I need something my almost 3yr old boy can enjoy with me (as well as wife) without having to be out 2-3 hours at a time. SO I am looking in to a side by side 4 seater.

Jeep started as a 1990 XJ. Engine was toast so a remanufactured 4.0 was bought and every sensor replaced as well as injectors, pacesetter header, water pump, dist, coil all new. everything was about 4 yrs ago, about 1000 miles total since.

The trans was taken to a local trans guy and checked out while engine was out. forget what was done, but trans never had an issue after the engine was installed.

Transfer case is stock with a new chain back then, and a SYE installed.

Then the rest is where it matters.

Body was removed from floor pan up, from the dash back. 4x4 rails were attached to the body pan and the unirails with plating the foor and such. very well attached. 1.75" DOM tube (mostly) was used to construct a full front bumper to rear bumper cage and structure. The windshield is brand new & is still there but might be best to be removed, have to see it to know why I say that.

The dash is still there in the entirety. JCV HD radio installed, with Ipod cable. Switches for locker, air and lights are in a steel panel.

Brake booster and master are WJ and stops the Jeep great!

The front axle is a Currie Rockjock high pinion Dana 60, with a arb and 5.38 gears. This is full one ton, not the smaller model. Has full chromoly shafts. Dual piston calipers. Drive slugs are chromoly. Has mounts that are positioned for stock XJ/TJ application, with both driverside and pass side upper control arm mounts. Has a hydro assist that was added semi recently and not steering is beyond a breeze! one finger at any speed or stop with it at any angle and steering it now slugish at all.

Rear axle is a 14 bolt 10.5" chevy that has been clearanced just over 1" on the bottom, with a ruff stuff cover. Detroit and 5.38 gears. Disc brakes. stock XJ width leaf mounts.

Front axle is 66.5" WMS wide and rear is 66ish.

The front has a Full traction long arm kit that has been welded in to the structure. 6" front springs and 5" rear springs. The front has two 3/4" spacers currently, I was trying to adjust what height I wanted to end up with, for the NEW 7100 ext res 12" travel Bilstiens. The rear has ubolt eliminators that are 1.25" lift height. The rear has brand new 5100 11" travel Bilstiens.

Wheels are 16x9" OMF Beadlocks with rock knobs, that are correctly shimmed for the beads of the 39.5" Irok tires. about 75% tread left and though "sanded" down some, they are now in the best condition for rocks, due to the edges being worn as so. Also includes one spare in brand new never touched on a new black steel wheel.

T-Maxx 10,500 winch.

converted headlights, 6" front lights, rock lights all under side.

On Board air that runs the ARB as well as outlet that runs a air gun no problem, and airs up tires in a flash.

PSC high volume power steering pump, res, cooler, and box, tapped for the hydro assist.

4 channel quality amp on stilts under the pass seat with drainage under it. 2 front outdoor water resistant speakers, and includes 2 wake tower bazooka tube cage mounted rear speakers. Has a 8" pioneer sub in a box. Stereo rocks.

Rear sheet metal box for tools, parts, etc, with 2 lockable latches in back cargo floor area. Also a first aid kit on top of box.

front seats are padded reclinable race seats, with harness cutouts, and cam lock 4 point seat belts. Rear was about a year ago, just one center mounted poly seat with lap belt. but with the addition of my son a few years ago, I moved the one seat over and lap belts, then mounted a child seat next to it.

Jeep is ready to go point and shoot any trail, that your ambition and will desires.

It has not been cleaned since KOH this year and is nto a show Jeep. But if you want a fully capable extremely reliable rig, that seats 4, goes everywhere, never over heats, and is fun. This is it.

Would like to get $15,000 for the rig. And if I do I will include the 16ft dual axle car trailer that has the wider bed with rails, that fits this rig as it sits, for $1500.

Here are a few pictures and videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdooXbuPTY8

2 minute mark is this rig and I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruIbni_XAY&feature=player_embedded

DSC_09191.jpg

IMG_13171.jpg

IMG_21661-1.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01584.jpg

2 things.

1.) Anyone who knows Rob and how he works should know that he is VERY thorough when it comes to building/repairing things. this rig is built to the 9s.

2.) Damn Rob this sucks. I understand your point about it sitting though, i'm getting pretty close to abandoning my xj project and going a different route. i havent driven my XJ more than 5 times in the last 2 years... I just dont see the point in keeping it anymore.

Good luck with the sale!

2 things.

1.) Anyone who knows Rob and how he works should know that he is VERY thorough when it comes to building/repairing things. this rig is built to the 9s.

2.) Damn Rob this sucks. I understand your point about it sitting though, i'm getting pretty close to abandoning my xj project and going a different route. i havent driven my XJ more than 5 times in the last 2 years... I just dont see the point in keeping it anymore.

Good luck with the sale!

Thanks mike...

I am only selling it due to sitting and not able to actually take my 2-1/2 year old boy out in it really. He cant sit strapped in more then like 30 min, and as we all know, most trails are 1-3 hours depending. SO I am going a different route for a few years then build another.

I know I am not giving it away and it is a hard market to sell a already built rig. But I can try and if I do then both the buyer and my self will be happy :)

I'm in the same boat, the last trip my wife went out with me was to big bear and she said she never wants to ride in my XJ again.. wheeling scares the crap out of her def not her scene. my oldest (11 yr old boy) loves going out with me but kind of the same deal he loses intrest after about an hour. that coupled with my 3 year old being old enough to want to do everything daddy does means I need to figure out a more family friendly wheeler.

We will miss ya bud!.....SANTA

I will miss you all, IF it sells. at least for a year. But with my A.D.D. I will prolly get a stocker within a year and at least do some basic crap...

Wow Robert, can't believe you're thinking of sell the rig. I understand though, good luck with the sale.......................too bad it won't be going to my garage.lolol

Wow

Pictures of Captain Ron!

ok what about 10K for it without winch, stereo stuff & spare?

i'm not all that keen with the stereo stuff but it would be cool to have. the winch is a must though.
how does the stock t case hold up with the 40's? i would think it would have had an atlas or some other beefy t case.
i see plates on it, is it still registered & smogged?

i'm not all that keen with the stereo stuff but it would be cool to have. the winch is a must though.
how does the stock t case hold up with the 40's? i would think it would have had an atlas or some other beefy t case.
i see plates on it, is it still registered & smogged?

I got a free Atlas last year at TDS (won it in a raffle) but the TC did me just fine and I sold it instead. I dont see there being an issue since the 6cyl doesnt have the output of say a 8cyl. If you have seen me on the trail then you know I dont hold back any if at all. Never had an issue though.

As for the winch, well split it with you..

It was fully registered and street leagel (except mud flaps) till last year. then I did a dual register (think enduro) since it wouldnt pass smog due to teh EGR valve tube was leaking and I just pinched it off. It still has teh cat and muffler, and all that. the registration to get back to street legal wold just need a unobservant smog guy or to fix the egr tube.

can you pm or email to [email protected] some more pictures showing build details, etc.?
i have been thinking about building a buggy out of either an xj, mj, or a willys pu, but since yours is ready to wheel i am very interested in it.

found a much more current picture

IMG00045-20100508-1213.jpg

CAN DO $10,000 for this rig, if anyone is interested...

Will not have winch, spare, stereo, amp or speakers. but everything else goes with the rig for this price.

:/

this is a bad ass rig, very well built, I was there in calico when he came down gate keeper crazy stuff lol. Dang rob sucks that you wana get rid of it :(. Side by sides are cool though. I have seen some really crazy ones. good luck with the sale

Last edited:
:/

this is a bad ass rig, very well built, I was there in calico when he came down gate keeper crazy stuff lol. Dang rick sucks that you wana get rid of it :(. Side by sides are cool though. I have seen some really crazy ones. good luck with the sale
U mean Robert not Rick

Back