• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Tire Repair Q...

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Does a puncture to the "shoulder" of the tire by a nail always or usually render the tire unfixable and in need of replacement?
Posted this in some off topic portion and got no response...thought this should be an easy and quick question...hopefully.
Thanks

EMSJEEP said:
Does a puncture to the "shoulder" of the tire by a nail always or usually render the tire unfixable and in need of replacement?
Posted this in some off topic portion and got no response...thought this should be an easy and quick question...hopefully.
Thanks
It's not that easy to give an answer because it depends a lot on the size of the puncture, where it is, and the kind of damage. Chances are it's a goner, but if it's a really expensive new or exotic tire, I'd be inclined to try an internal patch and an inner tube, and check very carefully for bulging or other problems. I don't think I'd ever try running it tubeless, though, if it's punctured past the meaty part of the tread.

You should consider the tube. I had a sidewall patched and it held for a long time, UNTIL below 20 degree weather. Changing a tire below 20 SUCKS!!!!!!

It depends on what you mean by the shoulder. If you mean where the tread wraps around to the sidewall, you can usually plug them. If it's higher up on the sidewall , 2X the tube and patch if the hole is small enough.

Ever heard of the "FrankenSpare"?
:D
Anyone got a pic?

Back