• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK question..

Fergie said:
Do not waste money on a compressor. The way I described works better than a compressor and takes less time. Last time I did mine it took less than 30 minutes.

Cher- Calipers makes perfect sense now. I didnt assocaite the lift to stretching brake lines as I have had YJ lines on mine, and that was never a problem.

Fergie

PS- DONT USE THE COMPRESSOR.
Unless you have to. I hate the damn things, but it was the only way the new 3" coils were going in. 20 years in buffalo=I'm not touching the LCA bolts untill I get new LCA's.

I picked up compressors for $9 at the baltimore expo. With them there is no need to take of the lower arms or the calipers. Just the shocks, track bar at the axle side and the sway bar.

youngbuck98xj said:
Auto Zone rents for free. Just pay a deposit and when your done take it back and they refund your money. That is if there's one around.

I was just going to suggest auto zone. When i installed my rustys 4.5" kit i rented them from auto zone. But like everyone else said, if you dont think you will need them, do it without them. Its much quicker and easier not to use them with these big coils.

1st: Listen to Fergie and Cher's method.
2nd: Forget the compressor.
You'll be fiddling with death, my man.

Okie Terry said:
1st: Listen to Fergie and Cher's method.
2nd: Forget the compressor.
You'll be fiddling with death, my man.

As long as you RESPECT the fact that you have about 1400# of stored energy in those things, they are safe. DO NOT USE AN IMPACT GUN ON THEM!!!!!!!!

Sometimes they are the only answer, aside from ripping LCA bolts out, that may, or may not, come out easy. I'll take a calculated risk, over an unknown.

youngbuck98xj said:
I picked up compressors for $9 at the baltimore expo. With them there is no need to take of the lower arms or the calipers. Just the shocks, track bar at the axle side and the sway bar.

Yeah...what he said...DONT remove the calipers and you won't strech or possibly tear the break line. Go about 80 mph immediately after your done and give it the brake test. I mean grind'em down... HOPEFULLY your brakes work.

5 minutes undoing the calipers, or possible DEATH. Tuff F_ _ _ ING choice.

YHWH...save me from some of these guys...

Storydude said:
Pssst...With compressors, you can crunch that spring down to about 12 inches. EASY to fall out without removing calipers.

PSST...done this about 6 times. NEVER with a compressor. once you get the rig up there is NO tension on the spring....

Compressors are good for struts...NOT necessary for anything else.

PS...compress the spring to about 12 inches...that bad boy fails and it'll take off your head.

SAFETY....try it sometime. It works.

red91inWA said:
PSST...done this about 6 times. NEVER with a compressor. once you get the rig up there is NO tension on the spring....

Compressors are good for struts...NOT necessary for anything else.

PS...compress the spring to about 12 inches...that bad boy fails and it'll take off your head.

SAFETY....try it sometime. It works.
Ha Ha. Stay out of the plane of movement, and you have nothing to worry about. FWIW, when I took the 86 apart, EVEN AFTER grinding the spring perches to allow for more flex, they were not going in. and, on a 20 y/o vehicle, I'm NOT gonna try to get the LCA bolts out untill I had new LCA's and bolts in my hand. I've seen 2 compressors fail. One Snap-on, the other OTC. In BOTH cases the screw sheared. Damage? One screw through a buddy's hand, and the other one through a wall. That's 2 times out of about 500 I've used compressors. I hate the damn things with a passion....but sometimes they save you hours and hours of work.

I have used spring compressors before, and let me tell you i dont like them. I've used the portable ones whcih weren't that bad, and the wall mounts made for struts. Let's jsut say this, they scare me. One one strut I had my gun on it to break of the top nut. It spun, it flew and I hit the ground..lol So I am gonna asses the lca's blot and see what happens. If you take a look at my "had to vent" post, you can see things aren't going to smooth so far. Gave up for the night, having a few beers, and hitting it again on sunday. thanks again for everyone's ideas. it makes the "idiots" life a bit easier lol later

it seems that you and i are about one day away from each other on the lifts, just i am in cali and have no real rust to speek of, i have had the break free on the bolts for a week now and i bought a compressor set just in case, but god they scare me!!!!!! once again good luck!!!!!

did rental thing from autozone......makes things a lot easier when you have one spring installed. The bottle jack trick works and I have used both but if I have a choice I would rent it

Back