• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about IRO hack-n-tap

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i ordered and received IRO Hack-N-Tap w/ DS and seal flange. Instructions say measure from rear diff. pinion yoke to out put shaft. 33 3/4, mark and cut. While doing so i noticed there is about 2+ inches of splines left showing on the OP shaft. But i followed the instructions. Placed the seal kit on and noticed the NEW yoke doesn't go all the way in the seal. (maybe 1/8 in) Not enough of course! After reading on other installs there should have only been about 1 1/8 splines left on the OP shaft correct? Now here is another problem. The front DS would be fully extended if i were to put it in now. Which makes it to short. Normal operating length is 32 1/4 on a stock front shaft. So if i cut the OP shaft with 1 1/8 splines showing, New yoke and seal will match up nice and Front DS will be to short. I've heard of some 89 and older XJs needing a custom shaft.

91 XJ, 2 door, 4.5 RC long arm kit, AW4, NP231. Is this model known for needing a custom shaft to?

Where can i get a DS shipped quick?

Those are bad instructions,it doesnt take into account the different "snout" lengths of the 3 different stock axles! Im going to guess you have a D35?

Those are bad instructions,it doesnt take into account the different "snout" lengths of the 3 different stock axles! Im going to guess you have a D35?
Nope! Actually have a 8.25 in the rear. I actually spoke to them and there kinda puzzled by this as well. They said i should cut my OP shaft at least another 1/4 in to help in gauge the seal a little better. Called a local DL shop to lengthen this one. $165 for a re tube and balance.

Just an update. Turns out my OP shaft needed to be trimmed anothe 1/4 in to help engauge the seal a little better. The shaft that IRO sent me happend to be to short because it is out of a manual. Manual front shaft is 1 1/2 shorter that one out of an auto.:doh: One way to check really quick is measure the longer sideof the DS tube from weld to weld. Auto= 19 in. Manual= 17 1/2.

Back