• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality of Coleman Tents.

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Hey guys I am in the market for a new tent. I was originally looking for a Eureka or something similar. I cam across this Coleman that would fit my needs. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000005512&categoryid=11020&brand= I can get it on ebay for 199 shipped. I need one big enough to put the Dog's cage in along with a couple Airbeds. The thing I like is the easy setup and Its HUGE!!!!! Sleeping in the Jeep sucks for more than one night. How good is the quality on the coleman line?

Tent quality is directly related to the price. That tent has a lot of stuff going on which equals more potential problems.

Tent quality is directly related to the price. That tent has a lot of stuff going on which equals more potential problems.

Yeah that had me a little worried about the tent. I gotta have a big one and a big Kelty or Eureka is way out of my price range.

I'm not the biggest fan of Coleman tents, but there are others in that price range, and for carcamping, Coleman isn't terrible. Check out Campmor, REI-Outlet, and hit some of the Dick's (fka Galyan's) stores in Indy along with the department stores. Someone will have a bigass tent to fit your budget (and there's still that Jeep tent for sale over on JU, I think).

Another chalet in the sub $200 range (REI Outlet)
16x10 (140 sq ft actual area)- $170
http://www.rei.com/product/798698

I had this one for YEARS and it was a GREAT tent.
A little bit of a pain to set up but like I said... was a GREAT tent.
Just wish it had a rain-fly and sealed up from the "elements" on the front screen room better than it did. Just had tie's to close the flaps. Zippers would have been a BIG improvement.
After about 7 years it started to loose its water resistance and the seams started to stretch out.

ColemanTent2.jpg

ColemanTent5.jpg

ColemanTent1.jpg

When I was in the market for a new one I did not have enough cash to get another Coleman so I got this one.....
tentA.jpg

I'm with drifto77.

We have had an old Coleman tent stashed in our camper for extra guests.
It's been in the family for as long as I can remember, and has stood up really well.

The tent I used backpacking for a while was a coleman. They had a series of small tents made for 1 or two people that worked great.

Big tents I don't know about.

Now that I think about it......
I said 7 years earlier ..........
Was more like 12 years (maybe even longer, cant remember how long i had it) before it even started to wear out.
I did get a LOT of use out of that old tent.
Kinda wish I still had it.
Liked it better than the one I have now even though my present tent is a LOT easier to set up and I dont see the "new" one lasting near as long.

If you have a costco local.. they have a few nice sized tents for under 200$
Coleman makes pretty good stuff tho.

I think I am gonna try my luck with the Coleman. Just gotta sell some Jeep parts that are posted in the MWC for sale so I can buy it!

I have had 3 Coleman tents. and they last for years. great quality stuff.

stay away from cheap wal-mart brands like Ozark-trail etc.. I have had nothing but headaches with ANYTHING store brand. Like the first time i used my wal-mart chair, the front leg broke and i went hands first into the fire.

I currently have the Ara-6, my sister has the Evanston-8, I use mine 6-10 times a year.

I'm not the biggest fan of Coleman tents, but there are others in that price range, and for carcamping, Coleman isn't terrible. Check out Campmor, REI-Outlet, and hit some of the Dick's (fka Galyan's) stores in Indy along with the department stores. Someone will have a bigass tent to fit your budget (and there's still that Jeep tent for sale over on JU, I think).

Another chalet in the sub $200 range (REI Outlet)
16x10 (140 sq ft actual area)- $170
http://www.rei.com/product/798698

I will not support REI. They work against our land use goals.
don't support the people trying to shut us out of public lands.

That said.
I own a Eureka Twister 6.
It's bg enough for a queen sized air mattress and the cage for my two weiners. It was about $300, and that was a pretty good deal at the local outfitters.

Didn't know that- duly noted.

not directly, and I know that they have good intentions, but they donate a lot of money to organizations that work directly against our hobby.
it's a shame, because I realy used to like their stuff, and they do have good products, but I will not support a company that funds our land use enemies.

Picked up a tent from BIG-5 Sporting goods 3 years ago. Fit's two full size air beds and 4 chair's and gear for $99. Has a fly and 3 window's. It's seen wind, rain and snow. I like it.

Back