• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardcore cooler needed

I remember seeing some Outfitter series coolers at Cabela's that would work well for you, they werent cheap at about $200, but they did look rugged enough to suit you. These were not the White series "fish" coolers as linked above.

So far the Army one is by far the best. We have had one since the '60's and it's still going strong. The handles are super strong for strap attachment or carrying. You can't even tell from the pictures how cool the top closure system is. The latches on one side open completely, but there are also latches on the backside that release to take pressure off the gasket so that the top closes squarely. Definitely fit's in with "Jeep tough".

They are made of some type of compressed ABS. The walls are about 1/2"-3/4" thick. The foam you can get is pick and pluck, made for securing equipment. It has a rubber O-ring seal to make it water tight and a pressure valve incase it is submersed, taken in to high altitude or other under a big change in pressure. The main use was marine/aviation utility and now is used for all kinds of things.

As for insulation for preserving internal temperature, I;m not sure about a solution for the pelican. Im the type to proto one and then try to perfect it.

If I were to develop an insert for it, I might take a 1" thick sheet of insulation foam for houses, construct a box to fit right inside, sand it to conform to the inside contour and coat the surface that will contact ice with some type of plastic coating or fiberglass resin.

I am the hands on type and I dont know how much time you are willing to spend to get the ultimate customization for a "cooler", it just happens to be a hobby of mine.

Winterbeater has a good point. If the military developed it, they have thousands of engineers working on these things. You never go wrong with military surplus.

If the military developed it, they have thousands of engineers working on these things. You never go wrong with military surplus.

we were good until that point... :D I work for the navy, I know some of the 'military engineers' :eek:

mermite food containers.
They are a little small, but I like them.
Best price I could find was $60
http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/field-gear/mermite-can-insulated-food-container.html

For that price, I think I'll give one a shot. Thanks!

look on some of the bass fishing, ocean fishing sites. my brother in law has a kickn cooler on his charter boat that will hold 200 some odd beers plus ice, fish, bait and a DEAD HOOKER.

i still rock the classic igloo one my dad gave 3 years ago. its great having a wife cause she fools with the straps when i want a drink!

Last edited:
What's the point, other than satisfying the hobby needs mentioned below? Pelican cases aren't cheap by any means. Why spend $100 on a case then stuff home insulation and fiberglass in it when you can buy a very nice purpose-built cooler for $100?

They are made of some type of compressed ABS. The walls are about 1/2"-3/4" thick. The foam you can get is pick and pluck, made for securing equipment. It has a rubber O-ring seal to make it water tight and a pressure valve incase it is submersed, taken in to high altitude or other under a big change in pressure. The main use was marine/aviation utility and now is used for all kinds of things.

As for insulation for preserving internal temperature, I;m not sure about a solution for the pelican. Im the type to proto one and then try to perfect it.

If I were to develop an insert for it, I might take a 1" thick sheet of insulation foam for houses, construct a box to fit right inside, sand it to conform to the inside contour and coat the surface that will contact ice with some type of plastic coating or fiberglass resin.

I am the hands on type and I dont know how much time you are willing to spend to get the ultimate customization for a "cooler", it just happens to be a hobby of mine.

Man, If I find myself in an army surplus store that has one of those coolers I am gonna snatch one up!

I run the coleman stainless cooler you mentioned in your first post.
I do not baby it one bit.
It is very rugged.
The handles may appear weak, but I assure you they will do the job. I ratchet mine down very snug, and have had the jeep in the air(not on purpose) with no deformation/loosening of the handles.
I've upset the cooler (by accident) a handfull of times (once fully loaded) and the lid has stayed closed/latched.
My wife and I do primitive/self sustained camping trips and over a 4 day period of 90* weather, the coleman sill had ice left in it, and the food/drinks were still cold.
Knowing how well it works and how tough it is I have no desire to try a cooler that 'might' be it's competition.

Mike, how old is your coleman? Does it have a "fridge type" seal around the lid?

We use a few of these, all newer models and 3 days is usually the max in the "beverage" cooler, i imagine because it's opened more often.

We use another for food, and we can get 5 days out of it.. trick is to not open it repeatedly.

Back