• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled over again....

One of the things that I loove about Kentucky: if it fits in the lane has lights, papers, and eye protection for all passengers and the driver, have a nice day! Oh, yeah... watch out for some of the bridges, as there are a few that are shorter than 12'! heh

I laughed when I saw this thread, because I am in full time law enforcement, live in TN, and I own several "high" rigs. Fortunately TN doesnt enforce its bumper height law unless your just a prick, and like driving places where your obviously not supposed to be....like instead of using the designated exits of a parking lot...haha

I have talked to several people who own tall rigs and they always ask me what is right and what is wrong. The purpose isnt anything more than keeping other cars from running underneath your truck or from you running clean over the top of someone else.

I cant speak for everyone else in law enforcement positions around the states and elsewhere, but I can tell you that if I happen to stop someone in a tall rig, it definetly wont be for bumper height.

Thats ridiculous.

Not so fast there GSequoia....

The Azusa Canyon Trap shows that the Ca HiPo are anal too. I never worried much while in SoCal because I blended in with all the Rock Crawlers and Pre-Runners. Here in Virginia, especially in the DC area, I stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. 4.5" or more with a Hi-Jack was pretty common in SD and LA. They flat dont exist here, especially with rock rash. I didnt see a lifted XJ, TJ, YJ, CJ etc until I went to a local show and shine and even then most jeeps were near stock. Yeah its not as big a deal in SoCal and there are no lift laws (just mud flaps and lights) but big brother is watching you too.

I miss the desert, God how I miss the desert..

John

Last edited:
haha you stick out? how you think i look.8" 36's PLUS K&N, headers, straigt pipe to a flowmaster 40 isnt exactly stock quiet ;) i get 'wtf' stares all the time. couple lifted xjs around here, about 10 TJ's. couple nices ones on 37's and 35's. but most are weak body lifts with 33's. Good luck to all living where liftlaws exist. I had to play softball tonight against a team called 'law and order'. all cops. that sucked.

skyjackedxj96 said:
haha you stick out? how you think i look.8" 36's PLUS K&N, headers, straigt pipe to a flowmaster 40 isnt exactly stock quiet ;) i get 'wtf' stares all the time. couple lifted xjs around here, about 10 TJ's. couple nices ones on 37's and 35's. but most are weak body lifts with 33's. Good luck to all living where liftlaws exist. I had to play softball tonight against a team called 'law and order'. all cops. that sucked.

Lol, did you park a few blocks away and walk in?

Well they got me, again.

Headed North bound on 29 South.

34". Couldn't drive away....

"Ill give you two options, either you call a tow truck, or i'll get one here for you"

......county cop....

Looks like im goin the 6" Longarm 35's route... :( :(

RyanM said:
Well they got me, again.

"Ill give you two options, either you call a tow truck, or i'll get one here for you"

......county cop....

That's ridiculous. :soapbox:

RyanM said:
Well they got me, again.

......county cop....

Another reason I hate traveling in VA... all you guys have up there is a money making scheme... You would think there would be some decent crime for the 5.0 to spend time on... but I guess not...

Just go the 6" Longarm 37" route... that's what im sitting at... where's the 34" measured to? just curious to see if I would comply

ground to the bottom of the bumper. If they think you've lowered your bumper any, they measure to the bottom of the frame rail. The law is different for each type of vehicle...for us, were passanger vehicles so its not much higher than stock.

I just moved to VA from WA, and I am wondering what happens if you have an out of state vehicle??? Do they still bother you? I am a student so i keep my vehicles registered in Washington State.
I am looking to lift my Cherokee.....So it would be nice to know before hand.

PBen

RyanM said:
Well they got me, again.

......county cop....

I hate stupid people! They don't care around here! In SC all ya have to worry about is your headlight height. 54" to the bottom of the head light. I see huge trucks riding around all the time with the headlights relocated into the front bumper to comply. Most of the cops drive F150s or F250s with 44s so they love to see all the lifted vehicles! Yaa Ha to the redneck cops!

Last edited:
What part of the state are you in? Over here in the south west part of the state no one really cares. Roanoke city is annal about bumper height only if you are way over or are involved in a rear ender with a car.

State wide it is 24" to the bottom of the bumper or the frame. My 96 XJ sat at 23" stock, its way over the limit at 4" lift. I think it is a ridiculous law and most cops that I know agree.

geeze i am glad i dont live there....in bama you just have to have working brake lights to register a car...haha how crazy is that?

Albemarle County. MOST cops here like the whole sport/hobby of offroading and will let you pass (unless your in a F250 on 44's..)

Just makes me mad, because seems like I see the same Taco's driving around on 37's, 38's etc. every freakin day. :flamemad:

UNCC, Did you find out your measurements?

It's really ridiculous when one has a well built safe rig, and is following all road laws, yet I was still pulled over and treated like I was this extreme criminal. (4 cars, about 6 cops ended up being present. WTF. I'm only one little guy in a big truck)

When I explained I had another vehicle to drive, and to let me travel the 10 min. home. He simply would not give in, saying I must TOW it.

PS. If you have a shop that lets you slide easy on INspections, make sure you lie to the cop, as to when the lift went in, to save your shop and chances of getting more state inspections :) :)

Last edited:
53guy said:
yeah, they had it registered as a passanger vehicle and i told the lady there was a misprint on my registration and told her it should be an SUV or a Truck, so she changed it to an SUV. i don't know how or why it can be changed, but all that really matters is that it says GVW 6000lbs!! I don't think my jeep could ever weigh that much, loaded down for a trail with 7 people in it I don't think it'd break 5K. i'd give your state DMV a call and ask them what class your jeep falls into. they probably will have a bracket or they might just put it somewhere depending on the teller. heck, try the misprint line, it worked for me!

my 96 xj on the door sticker that the weight from the factory was 5200 lbs....

uncc civilengineer said:
I'm at 32" +/- 1" w/ 8psi in my 37's...
Appreciate that. My weak bumpers definitely did not help me. The front bumper is tucked up. I've made the decision to go 35's, although the kid in me is hating me for it. I can't keep getting pulled over every time I want to take a cruise down the street. What if I was hanging out with some friends and kicked back 5 or 6 beers. Blow a .009. Shit, I got arrested, DUI, Court Dates, Restricted License becasue I was driving down the highway at 55mph in the right lane, with all my lights functioning :gee:

Back