• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled over again....

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok you guys in VA....good news and bad news...... got pulled today for my lift height. The cool part is that I just registered my Jeep again and they change the registration to an SUV with a GVW of 6000lbs, so I didn't complain. Worked out real well for me actually. So I was in traffic on I-95 south doing about 45mph when I see a state trooper in the median, pull out and throw his lights on. So I'm like, ok, he's going to an accident or something. Nope, he came, followed behind me, and as I got over in another lane, just followed me, so yeah, I'm thinking...Dude, I was going 45mph! Well, he comes up to me, asks for my licence and registration and goes back to his car. So as I'm sitting there, I'm wondering how in the hell I could have broken the speed limit and he comes back with a tape measure. "I pulled you over because your vehicle is lifted too heigh. You'll need to go to court on this date, bla bla bla....", so I ask him what he measured and what the law states. He said that it was done by his eye sight and then he proceded to tell me the law. I (trying my hardest not to flip the hell out and go apeshit on him about him just using his eyes) politely asked him to show me with a tape measure that I was over the limit. Well, I wasn't, thankfully and it turns out that I was within the law by 1/2". So I got out of that one and thanks for all the waves guys! Don't know who was waving at me, but I'm assuming it must be one of us. Anyhow, I asked him for the web site where I can get the law and pass it on, so here it is. This is what the law states:

"No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail."

Thankfully I was registered at 6000lbs GVW and measured 29" front and 28 3/4" in the rear. Here is the actual web site for everything else including lift laws. Luckily, we don't have to worry about most of them. I haven't found one that states how high if any modifications to the suspension can be done, but it does say that body lifts over 3" are illegal. Fortunately for us, we can't do that. So anyways, here's the laws as they are actually written:

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070

and for the short version (this includes other states HEADS UP FOR EVERYONE ELSE OUTSIDE OF VA....THIS MEANS YOU!!)

go to this site and download the pdf.

Site-----> http://www.truckaddicts.com/pages/laws.html

PDF----> http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/33525.pdf

Hope this helps you guys. I don't know how you all feel about it, but I printed up a copy to keep with my licence and registration so that if a cop tries to write me up again, I can pull out the law and show him. I know there's gonna be a cop that won't let my printed copy slide, so I also included the web site so they can look up the online version on their computers in their cars. Good luck you all and drive safe!

Come on Nick if you were doing 45 mph souhtbound on 95 between 3:00 and 7:00 PM you had to be doing something illegal. I commute that route every day and the only way to do that is to drive OVER the other cars on the road.

:D

Good job on challenging him, politely, on the spot. I love the precision instrument used.... I'll bet he's pi$$ed though. Probably thought he had an easy ticket and....

:doh:

Thanks for the links and info. I think I'll do the same (keep a copy in the Jeep) even though I don't drive mine more then to / from the trailhead.

yeah, he was really pissed. although, he looked like he just got out of police accademy and seemed really young. he was polite enough about being proven wrong to not cite me for something else, so i got lucky there. and hey! i didn't think anyone saw me driving on the shoulder!

53guy said:
yeah, he was really pissed. although, he looked like he just got out of police accademy and seemed really young. he was polite enough about being proven wrong to not cite me for something else, so i got lucky there. and hey! i didn't think anyone saw me driving on the shoulder!

I had a feeling he was a rookie, you have to love those noob troopers. Most of the seasoned troopers are too busy looking for carpool violators, that's the easy money ($110 first offense).

I hate it when they pull me over, even though it's been about 9 years now, and they spend all their time calling you "Sir" like they're going to choke on the word. It really used to jack me up when I was in my 20's, but since breaking 40 I don't mind any more.

It just seems wierd to have to explain my actions, especially when I'm right, to someone who wasn't even a gleam in his daddy's eye yet when I was serving my country and had already put 100k on cars.

yeah, they had it registered as a passanger vehicle and i told the lady there was a misprint on my registration and told her it should be an SUV or a Truck, so she changed it to an SUV. i don't know how or why it can be changed, but all that really matters is that it says GVW 6000lbs!! I don't think my jeep could ever weigh that much, loaded down for a trail with 7 people in it I don't think it'd break 5K. i'd give your state DMV a call and ask them what class your jeep falls into. they probably will have a bracket or they might just put it somewhere depending on the teller. heck, try the misprint line, it worked for me!

non-stick said:
I had a feeling he was a rookie, you have to love those noob troopers.

yeah, you sure have to give him credit, he tried really hard and he sure had some enthusiasm about it. he even spun his tires coming out of the median trying to get to catch me...lol, like i was going anywhere in traffic anyhow. its my guess that he was bored.

i wish....stuck here for now. well, at least until 2008 that is.

Ex CCS Racer said:
Dude, move to SC. Anything goes since they did away with inspection laws about 10 years ago.
A-men brother! And Its been more like 20 years ago now..... lol! I'm sorry but I feel like they have more important things they could look out for.

Ex CCS Racer said:
Dude, move to SC. Anything goes since they did away with inspection laws about 10 years ago.
I don't even know if TN has lift laws, well I'm sure they do but they don't enforce them anyway. No inspections either...seems like pretty much anything goes so long as it has current registration.

sp4mike said:
Good read Nick, Ill have to go see what mine says! BTW, are you going out to shoe creek this weekend?

who's running that one? DSO? Where's shoe creek?

Little place called montebello va. About 40 mins south of charlottesville. Looks like we're running all weekend, some are camping some are not.

i'm coming at least one day. pm me your number and i'll give you a call and try to meet up with some of you all.

This post prompted me to look up the local laws in Louisiana. Height doesn't matter here as long as headlights are below 54". I did discover that it is illegal to coast to a stop, and that no more than 2 aux lights are legal.

Oh, and that it is illegal to modify the exhaust of any motor vehicle so that it is louder than stock.

knock on wood 53, they havent botherd me. had a trooper behind me the other day for a while. and some looks from county.

Pfft .... Va Beach is prolly one of the worst spots in the mid-atlantic for cops 'eyeballing' . I got pulled in my Jetta a few months back ( yes it's lowered ) because it was too low ( which it was as per the above described law ) . But fortunately for me , the cop didn't know where to measure from as there is no defined lower edge of my cars bumper ( which that limit is 13" ) so he just hassled me about the lack of front plate ( which I refuse to run ) and I told him "yeah sure ... I'll put it on ! " then snickered to myself and said " sha .... right ! " so's he couldn't hear me !! hahahaa .

I've been eyeballed in every truck I've ever owned and have had NUMEROUS lift tickets here . Never had any problems anywhere else I've been ( and I've spent decent time in alot of other spots in VA ) . But I've been cited for too high , too wide , light covers , no mirrors , plate obstruction ( muddy ) , lack of clearance lights , excessive noise ( loud stereo in a Jeep with the doors off > AND pulled by a cop on a Harley with loud pipes ! ) , even got a wreckless for someone falling out of my truck while trying to hop in while I was stuck in traffic ! ?!? WTF was that ??? How can you get a wreckless driving while your stopped ?? ( it was dismissed ) .

Sheesh, look at North Dakota, where i'm stationed.

"Maximum allowable lift for suspension system is 4”.
No modifications to OEM suspension, steering, or braking systems are allowed on vehicles weighing less than 7000 lbs."

Guess I'd be screwed, good thing I'm MN registered, where I'm limited to 25" bumper height. :(

Back